Use ASUS AC-68U as VPN Server

sajid0405103

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
My knowledge of networking is not to good. I was looking to a get a new router and I saw there are routers like ASUS AC-68U that can be setup as VPN Server. So I want to understand if setup properly and I browse through the router then y browsing will be encrypted and my provider won't be able to see my browsing activities?

You technically mean vpn client but it will mostly do what you want. The merlin version of asus firmware has more options but the standard one has vpn support.

The ISP generally don't have time to bother what you surf. They normally only look at things that eat lots of bandwidth like torrents.

Still it is pretty easy to setup vpn on a router most vpn providers have instructions for the more common brands of router.

sajid0405103

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

So @Bill001g correct me if I am wrong. So the thing is the router alone is not enough to serve my purpose. I will likely need a subscription from a VPN provider. Is that so?

Yes you need something on the far end past your ISP. You encrypt from your house to that remote location at the VPN provider and the ISP can not see what is passing.

It wouldn't do you a lot of good to run a vpn client on your pc and then a vpn server on your router. The data would only be encrypted in your house and would be sent to the ISP unencrypted. This is the same as a vpn provider, when the traffic comes out of the vpn providers network the data is not encrypted so if someone knows to watch at that point they can still see your data.

The vpn server function on a router is used to allow you to access things in your house when you are away from it

sajid0405103

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

@Bill001g So the router will be the VPN client and I will need a VPN provider. So considering I am a heavy user do I really need AC-68U or do you believe AC-66U should be good enough to serve my purpose?

I don't need to access my computer from outside environment.

I really wish they told how much vpn traffic the routers can do. It tends to be a function of how much cpu power the router has. There is not a lot of information about the cpu chips in routers. The speed ratings you see are related to the radio chips.

I would suspect you 10-20m would not be a issue you start talking 50-100m and the it is really hard to say. Maybe the VPN sites have recommendations I only know about commercial firewall that I use at work for vpn and those are not affordable by home users.