Use both integrated and dedicated GPU on Desktop?

Jun 29, 2018
I saw that laptops can use both video cards, for example if i play a game it uses dedicated gpu and if i alt tab and watch youtube, it uses integrated gpu, isnt that a good thing? plus sometimes if the dedicated gpu is 100% then the integrate one helps also and if you have dual channel ram with high mhz, even better! can we do this on desktop also with only 1 monitor?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I saw that laptops can use both video cards, for example if i play a game it uses dedicated gpu and if i alt tab and watch youtube, it uses integrated gpu, isnt that a good thing?

Yes. For laptops it's a very good thing. If it doesn't have to use the discrete graphics card all the time, it saves battery power and probably slows the accumulation of heat. Not so much an issue with desktops.

if the dedicated gpu is 100% then the integrate one helps

Not exactly true. It depends on the graphics. An AMD discrete card and an AMD integrated card can work in conjunction with each other and support each other's functions. Not so with Intel or NVidia cards.

can we do this on desktop also with only 1 monitor?

Sure. There are three options:

1) NVidia SLI - This is using two discrete NVidia graphic cards of the same model number in conjunction with each other.
2) AMD Crossfire - This is using two discrete AMD graphic cards of similar (if not same) model numbers in conjunction with each other.
3) AMD Dual Graphics - This is using one discrete AMD graphics card in conjunction with a specific AMD integrated graphics chip.

You can use any of these set ups to power one display or as many as a single card can support.

-Wolf sends