use broadband router as switch?

I replaced my BEFSR41 with the BEFSRX41 above to get the access control
features. Both are 4 port fire wall Broadband routers..the X has VPN (that
I dont use but got cuz of the access controls)

Can one use the BEFSR41 (that I replaced) as a switch for port expansion in
conjuction with the other Linsys "X" routher? Can I use the WAN input port
on the replaced Router as the input so that I still have 4 other usable
ports on it?

Im using a 4 port DSS=5+ D-Link switch now and it would be nice to stack to
two Linksys routers cuz they are made to do that. Or am I better off just
leaving the Dlink and my port expander.

Any tips appreciated.

Yes, No.

Yes, you can use it as a switch and no you can't use the WLAN port.

Tom
"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I replaced my BEFSR41 with the BEFSRX41 above to get the access control
>features. Both are 4 port fire wall Broadband routers..the X has VPN (that
>I dont use but got cuz of the access controls)
>
> Can one use the BEFSR41 (that I replaced) as a switch for port expansion
> in conjuction with the other Linsys "X" routher? Can I use the WAN input
> port on the replaced Router as the input so that I still have 4 other
> usable ports on it?
>
> Im using a 4 port DSS=5+ D-Link switch now and it would be nice to stack
> to two Linksys routers cuz they are made to do that. Or am I better off
> just leaving the Dlink and my port expander.
>
> Any tips appreciated.

if you really want to you could connect the befsr41 (41) to your befsrx41
(x41) to provide additional network ports, however...
-if you use the wan port of the 41 you will only end up with three
additional ports (since you loose one in the x41 in order to connect the
41). in this configuration you should set the 41 to a different ip range
than the x41 or the computers on the x41 ports will not talk to the ones on
the 41. and with two ip ranges you will have to configure the firewall
software on each workstation (if you are using any) to have a two trusted
local zones.
-if you connect the 41 to the x41 using a lan port you also only get three
additional ports. you must disable dhcp from the 41 or you will have two
dhcp servers that potentially means a workstation can be assigned the same
address (one could be told by the 41 to be 192.168.1.100 and another can be
told the same address by the x41). also you should change the ip address of
the 41 before connecting it to the x41 or when you have them both connected
there is would be no way to pull up the control panel of each (if both are
found on 192.168.1.1 and on the same network then which will open? probably
neither...).
-all said, spend $20 and get a add on network hub or switch. no hassles,
nothing to remember to configure, and more ports. go to buy.com and search
for '8 port switch' then sort by price... several for about $20 with free
shipping... one even for just $15 after rebate.

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I replaced my BEFSR41 with the BEFSRX41 above to get the access control
>features. Both are 4 port fire wall Broadband routers..the X has VPN (that
>I dont use but got cuz of the access controls)
>
> Can one use the BEFSR41 (that I replaced) as a switch for port expansion
> in conjuction with the other Linsys "X" routher? Can I use the WAN input
> port on the replaced Router as the input so that I still have 4 other
> usable ports on it?
>
> Im using a 4 port DSS=5+ D-Link switch now and it would be nice to stack
> to two Linksys routers cuz they are made to do that. Or am I better off
> just leaving the Dlink and my port expander.
>
> Any tips appreciated.

correction/clarification.... added the word 'two' below...

> if you really want to you could connect the befsr41 (41) to your befsrx41
> (x41) to provide additional network ports, however...
> -if you use the wan port of the 41 you will only end up with three
> additional ports (since you loose one in the x41 in order to connect the
> 41). in this configuration you should set the 41 to a different ip range
> than the x41 or the computers on the x41 ports will not talk to the ones
> on the 41. and with two ip ranges you will have to configure the firewall
> software on each workstation (if you are using any) to have a two trusted
> local zones.
> -if you connect the 41 to the x41 using a lan port you also only get three
> additional ports. you must disable dhcp from the 41 or you will have two
> dhcp servers that potentially means **two** workstations can be assigned
> the same address (one could be told by the 41 to be 192.168.1.100 and
> another can be told the same address by the x41). also you should change
> the ip address of the 41 before connecting it to the x41 or when you have
> them both connected there is would be no way to pull up the control panel
> of each (if both are found on 192.168.1.1 and on the same network then
> which will open? probably neither...).
> -all said, spend $20 and get a add on network hub or switch. no hassles,
> nothing to remember to configure, and more ports. go to buy.com and search
> for '8 port switch' then sort by price... several for about $20 with free
> shipping... one even for just $15 after rebate.
>
> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I replaced my BEFSR41 with the BEFSRX41 above to get the access control
>>features. Both are 4 port fire wall Broadband routers..the X has VPN
>>(that I dont use but got cuz of the access controls)
>>
>> Can one use the BEFSR41 (that I replaced) as a switch for port expansion
>> in conjuction with the other Linsys "X" routher? Can I use the WAN input
>> port on the replaced Router as the input so that I still have 4 other
>> usable ports on it?
>>
>> Im using a 4 port DSS=5+ D-Link switch now and it would be nice to stack
>> to two Linksys routers cuz they are made to do that. Or am I better off
>> just leaving the Dlink and my port expander.
>>
>> Any tips appreciated.

ok ...thanks
> Yes, No.
>
> Yes, you can use it as a switch and no you can't use the WLAN port.
>
> Tom
> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I replaced my BEFSR41 with the BEFSRX41 above to get the access control
>>features. Both are 4 port fire wall Broadband routers..the X has VPN
>>(that I dont use but got cuz of the access controls)
>>
>> Can one use the BEFSR41 (that I replaced) as a switch for port expansion
>> in conjuction with the other Linsys "X" routher? Can I use the WAN input
>> port on the replaced Router as the input so that I still have 4 other
>> usable ports on it?
>>
>> Im using a 4 port DSS=5+ D-Link switch now and it would be nice to stack
>> to two Linksys routers cuz they are made to do that. Or am I better off
>> just leaving the Dlink and my port expander.
>>
>> Any tips appreciated.

split the scopes between the DHCP servers, and there is no problem.

> correction/clarification.... added the word 'two' below...
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> if you really want to you could connect the befsr41 (41) to your befsrx41
>> (x41) to provide additional network ports, however...
>> -if you use the wan port of the 41 you will only end up with three
>> additional ports (since you loose one in the x41 in order to connect the
>> 41). in this configuration you should set the 41 to a different ip range
>> than the x41 or the computers on the x41 ports will not talk to the ones
>> on the 41. and with two ip ranges you will have to configure the
>> firewall software on each workstation (if you are using any) to have a
>> two trusted local zones.
>> -if you connect the 41 to the x41 using a lan port you also only get
>> three additional ports. you must disable dhcp from the 41 or you will
>> have two dhcp servers that potentially means **two** workstations can be
>> assigned the same address (one could be told by the 41 to be
>> 192.168.1.100 and another can be told the same address by the x41). also
>> you should change the ip address of the 41 before connecting it to the
>> x41 or when you have them both connected there is would be no way to pull
>> up the control panel of each (if both are found on 192.168.1.1 and on the
>> same network then which will open? probably neither...).
>> -all said, spend $20 and get a add on network hub or switch. no hassles,
>> nothing to remember to configure, and more ports. go to buy.com and
>> search for '8 port switch' then sort by price... several for about $20
>> with free shipping... one even for just $15 after rebate.
>>
>> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I replaced my BEFSR41 with the BEFSRX41 above to get the access control
>>>features. Both are 4 port fire wall Broadband routers..the X has VPN
>>>(that I dont use but got cuz of the access controls)
>>>
>>> Can one use the BEFSR41 (that I replaced) as a switch for port expansion
>>> in conjuction with the other Linsys "X" routher? Can I use the WAN
>>> input port on the replaced Router as the input so that I still have 4
>>> other usable ports on it?
>>>
>>> Im using a 4 port DSS=5+ D-Link switch now and it would be nice to stack
>>> to two Linksys routers cuz they are made to do that. Or am I better off
>>> just leaving the Dlink and my port expander.
>>>
>>> Any tips appreciated.

clever, but even more complicated to direct someone on how to do that. $20
would be well spent on a hub or switch and provide more ports.