[SOLVED] Use Case for TUF and ROG boards

shuvool

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I've been using Asus motherboards for a long time, and thus haven't really paid much attention to the other manufacturers. In the interest of not spending what I don't need to, I've never gotten a ROG board. Each build I've done in the past has been one where a TUF or lower tier board has had everything I would actually use built in. This has always left me with a question: What is the use case where a ROG board would be preferred over a TUF board? Looking at the current X570 offerings, it seems like the TUF is slotted at a nice price point and does what it's always done in the past: give gamers everything needed plus a few bells and whistles. The ROG Crosshair VIII Hero has an extra 2 power stages, as does the Crosshair VIII Formula. They both use a different audio chipset than the TUF's Realtek, as does the Strix, which seems to have all the same features as the TUF, but with the SupremeFX audio of the ROG line. The biggest thing I see the TUF board missing is the stuff like motherboard buttons and LED readouts on the board, which would be handy for troubleshooting during the initial build and overclock, but once everything is stable, it wouldn't get used.

So then really, what use case would see a recommendation for an ROG board over a TUF board?

Solution
... What is the use case where a ROG board would be preferred over a TUF board?...
I think at one time the TUF line got better capacitors and etc. ROG just meant it was targeted to gamers, had a flashy design and it's own web site and forum of like-minded enthusiasts to hang out in. But now, it's just marketing. Pure marketing. Just look at features, board layout and aesthetics as you would for any other motherboard purchase. Oh...and reviews, if you have reliable ones available for what interests you.

The features you focused on would be interesting to overclockers, especially competition overclockers who never get past troubleshooting the initial build. If they get it stable, they just push it some more until they can't get...
... What is the use case where a ROG board would be preferred over a TUF board?...
I think at one time the TUF line got better capacitors and etc. ROG just meant it was targeted to gamers, had a flashy design and it's own web site and forum of like-minded enthusiasts to hang out in. But now, it's just marketing. Pure marketing. Just look at features, board layout and aesthetics as you would for any other motherboard purchase. Oh...and reviews, if you have reliable ones available for what interests you.

The features you focused on would be interesting to overclockers, especially competition overclockers who never get past troubleshooting the initial build. If they get it stable, they just push it some more until they can't get it stable. Then it goes on the shelf and on to the next project.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
Solution