[SOLVED] Use CX650M or Upgrade?

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Just over a month ago I upgraded my old HP Phenom II (which I already had in a Thermaltake V3 case from when I upgraded RAM, PNY 1050ti, CX650M, SSD, HDD).

New parts were-
  • Ryzen 7 2700x w/Prism Cooler
  • MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 2 x 16GB
  • Samsung Evo 970 m.2 SSD 1TB
  • 3 Corsair ML120 Fans
  • RGB LED Strips
  • Windows 10 Pro
I used the V3 case, 1050ti, CX650M and WD HDD. I knew I would upgrade the case and GPU, I just couldn't decide on a case and didn't want to leave the new parts sitting in case anything was DOA and this was my first other than swapping parts.

The mobo has an 8 pin and 4 pin, which the CX650M only has one 4+4 connector, so I have it plugged in the 8pin.

The 1050ti uses the 6 pin of the dual 6+2 cable. I recently purchased an MSI 2070 Super, which has one 8 pin and one 6 pin for power.

Although it doesn't fit in my current case I'm thinking the dual 6+2 would power the 2070, correct?

Adding the parts to PCPartsPicker I'm reminded of this, the last sentence saying the 4 pin CPU may be required for larger graphic cards.

Because of not having a second 4+4 pin I was figuring I'd upgrade to a better PSU when I got a new GPU and new case, likely digital. One user on here strongly suggested only Seasonic made units.

I know a quality PSU is important and was wanting suggestions, preferably fully modular. Adding all the parts I could potentially see I was just under 600W, so at least 650W but probably 750W to be safe.

As far as cases, it's between these three (vertical mounting the graphics card)-
  • Lian Li Lancool II
  • Corsair 220T (Phanteks vertical universal bracket)
  • Phanteks Eclipse P600S

*I did read the sticky posts and one thing I found interesting was on the JohnnyGURU Lemon List not one Corsair PSU was listed. Then I saw a video of Jon talking about single vs multi-rail. He said the CX series PSU is a quality unit, right after saying he works for Corsair. Either Corsair hasn't had a lemon or it wouldn't look good for him to put it on the list. :p

Solution
Just over a month ago I upgraded my old HP Phenom II (which I already had in a Thermaltake V3 case from when I upgraded RAM, PNY 1050ti, CX650M, SSD, HDD).

New parts were-
  • 3 Corsair ML120 Fans
  • RGB LED Strips
  • Windows 10 Pro
I used the V3 case, 1050ti, CX650M and WD HDD. I knew I would upgrade the case and GPU, I just couldn't decide on a case and didn't want to leave the new parts sitting in case anything was DOA and this was my first other than swapping parts.

The mobo has an 8 pin and 4 pin, which the CX650M only has one 4+4 connector, so I have it plugged in the 8pin.

The...

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019

New parts were-
  • 3 Corsair ML120 Fans
  • RGB LED Strips
  • Windows 10 Pro

The 1050ti uses the 6 pin of the dual 6+2 cable. I recently purchased an MSI 2070 Super, which has one 8 pin and one 6 pin for power.

Although it doesn't fit in my current case I'm thinking the dual 6+2 would power the 2070, correct?

Adding the parts to PCPartsPicker I'm reminded of this, the last sentence saying the 4 pin CPU may be required for larger graphic cards.

Because of not having a second 4+4 pin I was figuring I'd upgrade to a better PSU when I got a new GPU and new case, likely digital. One user on here strongly suggested only Seasonic made units.

I know a quality PSU is important and was wanting suggestions, preferably fully modular. Adding all the parts I could potentially see I was just under 600W, so at least 650W but probably 750W to be safe.

As far as cases, it's between these three (vertical mounting the graphics card)-
  • Lian Li Lancool II
  • Corsair 220T (Phanteks vertical universal bracket)
  • Phanteks Eclipse P600S
*I did read the sticky posts and one thing I found interesting was on the JohnnyGURU Lemon List not one Corsair PSU was listed. Then I saw a video of Jon talking about single vs multi-rail. He said the CX series PSU is a quality unit, right after saying he works for Corsair. Either Corsair hasn't had a lemon or it wouldn't look good for him to put it on the list. :p

If you need a new PSU, especially for a high end pc with a MSI 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 2700x, i refer you to the PSU tier list,
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/

Pretty self explanatory list, i recommend you go for a 650w / 750w psu, (just got for a 750w, it future proofs your pc with a little more upgrades and has a bit of breathing room for overclocking if your interested)

If you want to overclock much much further, go for a higher wattage psu, (or if you want to do SLI)

Try go to Tier A and above on the list.

Solution

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I've been going back and forth between different brands of PSU's, mainly the Phanteks AMP, ASUS Rog, Seasonic and Corsair RMx and RMi.

I've basically decided on a Corsair RMI, to work with the software and monitor power, but I'm stuck on which one to get- 650, 750 or 850.

I calculated my current load here, including with any foreseeable upgrades, and it came out at just under 500W.

I have never done any overclocking and I'm not sure I will, but at some point I'll update the processor to either a Ryzen 9 3900 or 3950... which is 105W like the 2700x currently installed.

The 650 and 750 both have 3 CPU(EPS)/PCIe connections on the PSU side. The 850 shows five. From what I read the CPU and PCIe connections are interchangeable.

Here's what I'm not sure about. I need connection for 8 pin EPS, one for 4 pin EPS, and the 2070 Super takes 8 pin and 6 pin.

Obviously the 850 has connections for each, but I didn't plan on paying over $200 for a PSU. With the 650/750 having three connections I figured one for each 8 pin and 4 pin EPS cable and the third connection for a dual 6+2 PCIe cable.

I was thinking since they actually include a dual 6+2 PCIe cable there is no issue with this, but I was also wondering if it would be better (power/load wise) for the 8 pin and 6 pin PCIe connections to have their own cable.

The best prices I found are-
RM650i- $115
RM750i- $177
RM850i- $220

MSRP for the RM750i is $149.99 and RM850i is $169.99, but on Corsair.com they are out of stock and no retailer has them for those prices, otherwise this wouldn't even be an issue...I'd get the 850.

I'm not sure how much of a 'cushion' over the 500W load is enough, say if I went with the 650.

I emailed Corsair to ask these questions, plus when the 750 and 850 will be back in stock, but the response I received didn't give answers and said they would pass the message to others...and no further response yet.