Use D-Link 2730U as a Wireless Repeater

BhargavJ

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I think this question has been asked many times on this forum, but I don't have much knowledge about these matters, and I've spent more than four hours on Google and some forums, and I still don't have any answer.

Earlier, I used to use the D-Link 2730U ADSL modem+router because my ISP provided the connection by telephone line (RJ-11). Now I've switched to another ISP which provides the connection by RJ-45 cable, so I'm using a TP-Link 740N router. The routers have always been placed on the first floor. The wireless range of the TP-Link router I'm using now drops to two bands and less ("poor") just one floor below. The D-Link router is just lying around.

http://www.dlink.co.in/products/?pid=451

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR740N.html

What I want to do is use the TP-Link router to connect to the ISP; this router is on the first floor. It will then connect by wireless to the D-Link modem+router which I'll place on the ground floor, and the D-Link modem+router will help in increasing signal strength for devices on the ground floor.

Is this possible? In my searches, I've come across WDS (D-Link doesn't have this, I think) and DD WRT and AP and all, but I can't make sense of all these things.

Thanks. :)

Solution
If you can run a ethernet cable then you can pretty much use your router as a AP. There are even youtube video how. Even though some routers have it as a feature you can use any router.
Any repeater placed in a poor signal area will only make the signal worse. You must place the device in a area that gets good signals. When the problem is it get good signal on one side of floor/wall and get poor on the other you are stuck because if you place it on the good side the signal will still be mostly absorbed and placing it on the bad side just degrade the signals.

Still it doesn't matter. Normally a big clue that a router will not run as a repeater is if it has a dsl modem in it. It would have to have that option in the factory firmware and there is no interest in developing third party images because you can not get drivers for the dsl modem.

Your only hope is to use a ethernet cable or maybe powerline devices to get the signal to the other floor and then you can use the device as a AP.

BhargavJ

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Alright, if it is not possible to connect the D-Link router to the TP-Link one by wireless, will connecting it by ethernet cable work? What I mean is: the TP-Link router will connect to the ISP; the D-Link router will be connected to the TP-Link router by cable and placed downstairs, and it will then provide stronger Wifi signals to the ground floor. Does the D-Link router have whatever features are needed for it to be used in this way?

As for powerline, I doubt anybody uses it in India. I've never seen people normally discussing about it in any Indian forum.

Thanks for the reply. :)

hamed527

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

Hi, I have the same problem, I have connected my Dlink to the main internet modem with a network cable but I don't know how can I configure my dlink modem for this purpose, have you found the solution? please let me know , my email address is h.khajat@gmail.com