Use HD 7770 without 6-Pin Connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I just bought an MSI HD 7770 1020MHz Video Card. The card is rated at 80W, and an PCI-E Slot can only deliver 75W.
I was wondering if I could use my card without connecting the extra power cable by downclocking it.
Is 5W really crucial for the card or it can live without it?

Is that possible without inflicting any damage to my card?

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
The card likely won't work at all - the fan's won't spin up or anything probably. Just get a molex 4-pin to 6-pin adapter.

The card is designed to run on two power sources - actually it's probably designed to get most of it's power from the 6-pin - and can't just make up by drawing the extra from the other source. Put another way, you're basically asking "If my dryer needs a 220-volt line and I only have a 110, can I plug it in anyhow and just run it at half heat?"....and of course the answer is no.

inanition02

Distinguished
The card likely won't work at all - the fan's won't spin up or anything probably. Just get a molex 4-pin to 6-pin adapter.

The card is designed to run on two power sources - actually it's probably designed to get most of it's power from the 6-pin - and can't just make up by drawing the extra from the other source. Put another way, you're basically asking "If my dryer needs a 220-volt line and I only have a 110, can I plug it in anyhow and just run it at half heat?"....and of course the answer is no.

Solution

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
The problem is that I only have Two 4-pin Peripheral power connectors, and I need one for my PATA Hard Drive, but the molex adapter that came with my card need both of the connectors...

Is there an way to use a SATA power plug for an PATA Drive?

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

The problem is that I already bought the card and it is right here in front of me...
I am currently using my old HD 6570, I just wanted to be sure about using an HD 7770 without its power connectors isn't an stupid idea that will make me regret for the rest of my life. :(

inanition02

Distinguished

Buy a splitter? Hdds use only a few watts, shouldnt be a problem splitting one of the leads into two.

Status
Not open for further replies.