[SOLVED] Use HDMI monitor with KVM switch that has only VGA monitor ports...?

Mar 24, 2020
Like everyone else, setting up my "home office"... I purchased a UGREEN 2-port USB KVM Switch Box with USB-A ports for keyboard/mouse, two VGA IN ports and one VGA OUT port. Keyboard/mouse switches fine. I was originally intending to use my own basic Acer monitor, but now I've hauled my Dell P3418HW HDMI monitor from work. The P3418HW has HDMI, a DP Display port, an mDP Mini-display port, USB upstream, USB downstream.

I admit to a limited understanding of hardware specifics. Is there any way to rig this Dell monitor to work with the KVM switch? I scrounged up a Display-port-to-VGA adapter (female, Apple model A1307), and I then connected a male/male VGA cord to connect it to the KVM switch, but it didn't work. IS there any way to make this work? Any adapter I can order? Or am I looking at getting a different KVM switch? If so, any suggestions? Or am I just switching back to the much smaller Acer? Note: If it matters, I'm using the KVM switch to move between a Dell laptop and a Macbook Pro with only USB-C ports.

Thanks... and stay well, everyone.

Solution
@wendi
So, your biggest problem is that VGA is transmitted in an analog format and HDMI is transmitted in a digital format. There are boxes that will do the conversion (you have to be careful because they tend to only work 1 way) but I find they are hit and miss.

Alternatives ....

1. If your desk is big enough, drop 2 monitors on it ... One for computer 1 and 1 for computer 2.
  2. If you are not switching that often and your computers can accommodate it ... connect both computers to the monitor and then use the source button on the monitor to switch back and forth.
  3. Return the UGreen and look for an HDMI KVM.
@wendi
So, your biggest problem is that VGA is transmitted in an analog format and HDMI is transmitted in a digital format. There are boxes that will do the conversion (you have to be careful because they tend to only work 1 way) but I find they are hit and miss.

Alternatives ....

1. If your desk is big enough, drop 2 monitors on it ... One for computer 1 and 1 for computer 2.
  2. If you are not switching that often and your computers can accommodate it ... connect both computers to the monitor and then use the source button on the monitor to switch back and forth.
  3. Return the UGreen and look for an HDMI KVM.

Solution
Mar 24, 2020
Ahah. I like #2; great idea. (#1 isn't an option, as the P3418HW is quite wide. ) The monitor has two HDMI ports, and it would be easy enough to push the Input button to switch. I do switch a lot during the day; I am both a graphic artist (Mac) and a programmer (PC) and am constantly switching tasks.

I also looked online for other KVM switches but wasn't confident in my ability to select one with the required capabilities--including that directional conversion issue you raised.

I'll just get another HDMI cord; I already know that connection works with both Mac and PC.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS