Use Multiple Gatway in single network adapter

mohammadboss66

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
hi all.
i have 2 gateway over my network provider to connect to internet.like Gateway1="1.1.1.2" and Gateway2 = "1.1.1.3".
but i have only one network adapter with one wire.!
i want to use for example use "1.1.1.2" for my downloading and use "1.1.1.3" for my web surfing.

i heard about "ForceBindip" to use each lan adapter for any program to use.
and now i want program to create "Virtual Network adapter" assigned to my real network adapter to set secondary Gateway to it, and use it by "ForceBindip"..
is it possible.???or any other way is exist.??

thanks to everyone to help me.

Let's be sure we're on the same page about these gateways first.

Are these gateways actually two physically different modems?? I'm concerned that maybe these are merely two gateways served by the same modem. And if that's the case, there's a good chance you won't get any more bandwidth whether you use one, the other, or both. For each modem, you usually get a maximum bandwidth, regardless of how that's divvied up (one public IP, multiple public IPs, one gateway, two gateways, etc.). The only time I've seen ADDITIONAL bandwidth is when each gateway is servicing a different modem (i.e., completely independent from each other). The fact you're using only one network adapter at the client suggests it's just one modem, or else you'd have to be using a dual-wan router, one wan per modem. But if that was the case, you probably wouldn't be asking these questions. Most dual-wan routers would automatically load balance for you.

So before even considering a solution, give us the details on how these multiple gateways work, the devices you have, etc. Otherwise, any further advice might be pointless.

mohammadboss66

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
thanks.

no
i have wireless network.
and i connect to my wireless internet provider AP with Nanostation2.
and it have one Cable from Nanostation2 to back of my computer and connect to my LAN adapter.
next i have 2 gateway,each Gateway is 512Kb/s.

then i have only 1 Nanostation2 radio with one LAN adapter and can only set Gateway 1 as default and connect to internet.
i want to know is possible use another gateway in "Virtual LAN" or any other to use another Gateway on it.?
if i have another LAN adapter can forward my app traffic to it.
is any way without by Dual-WAN.
and in the next is dual-wan modem correctly for me.?

sorry for my bad english.
thanks.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
essentially, you want to "route" your data.

Standard routing is based on subnets, not on protocols. You would need to get custom software to route based on protocols.

One easier thing you may be able to do is assign two IPs to your NIC. One for one network and one for the other. Then you would have to "bind" each application to the interface you want to use. This sounds close to what you described.

An ever better way would be to setup a gateway that would load balance between you two connections and also run QoS to keep stuff snappy.

mohammadboss66

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
essentially, you want to "route" your data.

Standard routing is based on subnets, not on protocols. You would need to get custom software to route based on protocols.

One easier thing you may be able to do is assign two IPs to your NIC. One for one network and one for the other. Then you would have to "bind" each application to the interface you want to use. This sounds close to what you described.

An ever better way would be to setup a gateway that would load balance between you two connections and also run QoS to keep stuff snappy.

Thanks.
and it's my question.
how i can route my traffic with one network adapter and 2 Gateway.??
when i setup tow IPs in my LAN..how to configure IPs to use witch Gateway..?

mohammadboss66

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
its not only network card to buy..
i have internet connection over Wireless..
and to set second gateway on other network card i should to buy.
1 Nanostation radio and another network adapter.

mrgenie

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Actually, this is very simple if you know your download locations..
Imagine you download from ip range 216.18.1.1 to 216.18.254.254

and you have 1 router at 192.168.100.1
and second router at 192.168.100.2

what you do is following:
Use the GUI of windows for the Properties of the Internet Protocoll Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Usually you have here "Obtain an IP address automatically" it's using the DHCP in this case..

Stop using this on your PC..
select a valid IP adress OUTSIDE the DHCP range.. dont disable DHCP on your router.. its good for your iphone and other devices..
let's say you use IP: 192.168.100.5
Subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.100.1
preferred DNS 192.168.100.1

Now go in ADVANCED
here you add a 2nd gateway: 192.168.100.2
change the metric for the first to 20 and for the 2nd to 30
go to the DNS tab.. add here also a new DNS 192.168.100.2
(note you can also add the DNS of your ISP.. and you can add 100 here if you like.. in order to use)

now save all your changes..

then open the command prompt in administrator mode..
use the route command print to view what you have..

c:\windows\system32\route print

you will now see 2 gateways here for the 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 with metric 20 and 30

Windows prioritize the lowest.. if it's not there, automatically using the higher one..

But, you can override this for any IP or IP Range..
lets say your target IP is 216.18.1.1

c:\windows\system32\route add 216.18.1.1 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.100.2 metric 5

for the target IP (where you want to download from) the computer will use gateway 2 instead of 1, while for other internet traffic it will still use the first..

you can also add ranges
c:\windows\system32\route add 216.18.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.100.2 metric 5 (notice the two 0 that replaced the numbers)
or a larger range
c:\windows\system32\route add 216.18.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 192.168.100.2 metric 5

Remember the MASK must be valid to the target IP (range) or windows will tell you it is not able to create this route mapping..

you can use the p switch to make it permanent (into the windows registry)

c:\windows\system32\route -p add 216.18.1.1 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.100.2 metric 5

with this technique, you can also add multiple default gateways and map to the internet using different connections..

low latency low bandwidth dsl connection for skype
high latency large bandwidth satellite connection for large downloads (if thats flatrate)
low latency large bandwidth, but limited by 20 GB per month LTE for your browsing..

You can also combine networks in your street and map whatever you want..
it's getting very complex to manage though.. but you didn't ask that.. you asked if it be possible, and here's the solution, though too complex for large networks to manage properly

mrgenie

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008

You still need to tell windows the route table which network interface to use, which is the tricky part..

either I have 1 network card, add 2 default gateways and DNS to it.. and then do the routing table..
or I have 2 network cards, with each 1 gateway and dns, and then to the same routing table except now I don't route by gateway but by network interface..

it's like having 2 roads to the supermarket.. both are exactly 1km.. both have 2 traffic lights.. everything is the same, except 1 road is for free and the other cost money, opening my computer, possibly by opening the computer case loose warranty, eating a little bit of power, use an additional slot on my computer..

For windows it really doesn't matter if I route per gateway or per network interface.. it's really unimportant for windows.