use my windows cd again for ssd

goldenkey

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I have installed windows 7 professional on my 1tb hdd. I want to purchase an ssd drive to boot my computer from that drive. I have the os cd. can I deactivate the copy of windows on my hdd and transfer it to my ssd?

Solution
There is no de-activation for windows. Just activate the new installation and delete the old installation on the hdd (or keep it for disaster recovery). Make sure you disconnect the hdd while installing to the ssd, You will end up with a dual boot otherwise.

lp231

Splendid
get a samsung evo ssd the one with the notebook upgrade kit. this comes with a sata to usb 3.0 adapter. connect ssd to adapter and install the supplied samsung migration software.
plug ssd with adapter to computer and run that program (the program will update, update it). follow on screen instructions and it will begin the clone. when it's done. remove hdd and install ssd and you're done.

I did this a few days ago, while I transfer the entire Os from a 120 gb ssd to a 500gb ssd. An it went without a problem.

USAFRet

Titan

The problem with all the migration schemes is size.

He currently has a 1TB drive. Likely it is consuming more space than the SSD he will get.
Going from a small drive to a larger drive is no problem. Going from a 1TB HDD to an SSD is likely to run into issues, unless he has deep pockets for a large SSD.

In either case, I almost always recommend a fresh install on the new SSD.

lp231

Splendid

Well it all depends no how much space is used up by in the HDD. If it's larger than the purchased SSD, then Yes, the OS must be reinstalled, but if not, then he could have the chance of cloning it over.
I do agree it's best to perform a clean install, but when a user just recently spend some time setting up their system the way they wanted, and have to redo everything, they will want to avoid it the process of reinstalling.

Solution