[SOLVED] Use Non-QVL SDRAM on my new MOBO?

HCCrain

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
I need to switch my desktop computer to Windows 10. Too many old components, so I decided to replace the CPU, the motherboard, and the SDRAM. The system is going to be future-proofed, since we don’t replace components for years. So yeah, it’s more than this old lady needs, but I have the money and this is what I want:
*Intel Core i7-9700 Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.0 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630.
*Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard.

I read a bit of the Intel datasheet for my CPU to make sure I knew exactly what SDRAM could be used. I explored the offerings on Newegg that matched the Intel specs and did some more reading. I decided to buy a 2 stick kit: 16 GB X 2. Looks as if latency of 15 will be the best I could do. Then I went to the Qualified Vendors List for the mobo.

Gigabyte hasn’t vetted too many 16 GB sticks of the type I need. I’ve spent way too long trying to match what they do list with Newegg’s offerings. I found two matches (more if you count colors and vendors). The HyperX Fury module kit is way too expensive. The CORSAIR Vengeance kit is affordable, but it was released in 2015. CAS Latency = 16. I’d rather buy newer Team T-Force or G.Skill Ripjaws V kits. Both are to spec, are in the same price range, and boast CAS Latency of 15. They’re not on the QVL, however.

Husband says I’m being nutso. I’m nervous about what will happen if something goes wrong with the mobo. We agreed that I should ask forum members:

-If I buy/install non-QVL SDRAM, and the mobo goes wrong, could Gigabyte refuse to replace it?
-If I add SquareTrade insurance on the mobo, would my claim be bounced if I use non-QVL SDRAM?

Any answers will be deeply appreciated.

HC Crain

Solution
The QVL list is ram that has been tested successfully.
Obviously it can not test all possibilities.
And once the list is out, it may have not been updated.

What is the make/model of the desired kit?
Ram will be supported by the ram vendor. Most ram these days will have a lifetime warranty.
To be certain of support, go to the ram vendor web site and access their ram configurator.
Enter your motherboard and you will get a list of supported ram kits.
I know g.skil has such an app.

Intel motherboards are very tolerant of ram so most any ddr4 ram is going to work.

The one thing to watch out for is to not damage the motherboard cpu socket pins.
It is easy to do and such damage will not permit you a RMA of a motherboard.
It is...
I don't think using RAM that's not on the QVL list will damage the motherboard.
I think the worst that will happen is that it doesn't work....and I think that is less likely than more likely.
I have used RAM (not on QVL) on motherboards many times and as far as I know...nothing bad has ever happened to a motherboard because of it.

HCCrain

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Thanks. I'm not worried about the RAM damaging the mobo.

IF I install non-QVL RAM, and the mobo doesn't work, or stops working for whatever reason, would Gigabyte and/or square trade refuse to replace the mobo just because I installed non-QVL RAM?

The QVL list is ram that has been tested successfully.
Obviously it can not test all possibilities.
And once the list is out, it may have not been updated.

What is the make/model of the desired kit?
Ram will be supported by the ram vendor. Most ram these days will have a lifetime warranty.
To be certain of support, go to the ram vendor web site and access their ram configurator.
Enter your motherboard and you will get a list of supported ram kits.
I know g.skil has such an app.

Intel motherboards are very tolerant of ram so most any ddr4 ram is going to work.

The one thing to watch out for is to not damage the motherboard cpu socket pins.
It is easy to do and such damage will not permit you a RMA of a motherboard.
It is considered user error.
Just align the processor correctly and drop it in.
Do not smoosh it around to seat it or you will damage a pin.

Memtest86 is the gold standard for testing ram. I use it as a first test to verify proper working of a new build.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

On occasion, you DO get a faulty part.
A failure can be the motherboard itself, ram, or even rarely the cpu.

Lastly, do not update the bios unless you have a problem that impacts you.
At least not initially.
A failed bios flash can be nasty to recover from.

Solution

HCCrain

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Thank you! I shan't worry about being having a claim rejected any more.

I know Crucial had something like that last time we did this. I'll check out the G.Skill site. I really like what I read about this module: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C15D-32GVR.

Good reminder about the CPU placement. It has been 5 years. Double good to hear about the BIOS. I had hoped I wouldn't have to mess with it any time soon. There are plenty of driver updates I do have to deal with. I don't need that one.

HC