[SOLVED] use old cables on a new psu?

Mar 26, 2020
Im upgrading from a corsair 550w PSU to a corsair 850w is it possible to just swap out the psu's themselves without changing out the cables?

Solution
i'd swap everything. the weaker psu would have been shipped with cables that are good enough for its output. the higher power psu could possibly overpower those cables since it is designed to provide more power.

so rather than temp fate that the cables you are using are good enough for the extra power, i'd just change them all to the new ones

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd swap everything. the weaker psu would have been shipped with cables that are good enough for its output. the higher power psu could possibly overpower those cables since it is designed to provide more power.

so rather than temp fate that the cables you are using are good enough for the extra power, i'd just change them all to the new ones

Solution
Im upgrading from a corsair 550w PSU to a corsair 850w is it possible to just swap out the psu's themselves without changing out the cables?

Which Corsair 550W? Which Corsair 850W?

AC power cord, sure. But the DC cables are going to be rated the same. Typically, a higher wattage PSU simply has more cables.

For people that will see that title and read this in the future:

Corsair -> Corsair = Maybe.
Between two random PSU's = No.

Right. I'm sure they're compatible because I can't think of any modular Corsair 550W that didn't use Type 3/4 (Old HX were 520W, 620W, etc. Old AX was 650W and up). And unless the OP is buying some old Corsair 850W, there's no reason it shouldn't use Type 3/4 cables.

The only exception being the 24-pin, of course. If it's an old RM550 (school bus colors) and the new PSU was an HX850, for example. RM had a type 3 24-pin and HX would have type 4.