Use Old HDD in New Build

cameronkicks

Honorable
Jun 25, 2014
I have recently purchased a new PC and am wondering if I can just plug my old HDD in to access all of my files or if I will have to re-format the drive to be able to use it. My boot drive is an SSD which I will reinstall my OS and programs on, but the old drive has my documents, pics and videos on it(no actual programs) and I just want to know if it will work if I just plug it in.

Solution
If you don't have the cash for another drive to back up to... cloud maybe your temporary solution as long as you have decent upload speed otherwise it can take days.

Take it to work and copy the stuff to the company's server? Hope you don't get fired. :D

Got ton of free space on your smart phone? I don't recommend it but if you want a MacGyver's solution...

USAFRet

Titan

If you plug it in and it does not work, or demands to be reformatted, what will you do?

There is no 'magic'.
And you should ALWAYS have a backup.

cameronkicks

Honorable
Jun 25, 2014
OK, is there a way I can back it up without having to pay for cloud storage or buying an external drive?

USAFRet

Titan

No, that is what a backup IS. A copy on another drive or location.

If you don't have the cash for another drive to back up to... cloud maybe your temporary solution as long as you have decent upload speed otherwise it can take days.

Take it to work and copy the stuff to the company's server? Hope you don't get fired. :D

Got ton of free space on your smart phone? I don't recommend it but if you want a MacGyver's solution...

Solution