Use onboard graphics card to get a dual monitor setup

ghost1234

Prominent
May 17, 2017
I would like to connect my second monitor to my onboard graphics card to browse while gaming. I have my main monitor connected to my GPU which is a GTX 1050ti. Whenever I connect my second monitor to the onboard graphics, it comes up with an error saying that there is no video input. I have an AMD A6 6400k APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics. Can anyone help me?

Solution
Enter BIOS Setup to set the following items under the Peripherals\GFX Configuration menu:
-- Set Integrated Graphics to Force.
-- Set UMA Frame Buffer Size to 512M or above.
Save the settings and exit BIOS Setup. Restart your computer.

This only works with AMD graphic cards:

An AMD graphics card that supports AMD Dual Graphics technology (for more details, please visit AMD's
official website) and correct driver (For an FM2+ APU, please use an AMD R7 200 series graphics card;
for an FM2 APU, please use an AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 graphics card.)
This is because once the GPU is connected, it's disabled. Some motherboards allow you to change this in the BIOS, but not all. What type of monitor is it? You should be able to hook it up directly to your GPU. You will get better performance like that.

ghost1234

Prominent
May 17, 2017
It's a Philip monitor, I don't have the original box for it so I can't tell you the proper name. Am I able to change it in the BIOS?
I cannot connect it to the GPU as it doesn't have a VGA input.

ghost1234

Prominent
May 17, 2017

I have an AMD A6 6400k APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics. Would I be able to do it with this?

Wolfshadw

Titan
It depends on the motherboard, not the APU.

You need to go into the motherboard BIOS and see if there is a setting for enabling the on-board graphics while a discrete graphics card is installed. As previously mentioned, not all motherboards allow this setting.

If you decide to opt for an adapter to connect your GPU to your secondary display, you will need to make sure it has an active digital to analog converter as the GTX 10xx series cards did away with all analog support.

-Wolf sends

ghost1234

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Ahhhh, I understand now. If I go to the BIOS, what setting would I be looking for? Is there a specific name ect..

ghost1234

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm just not very good with computers. How do I find what motherboard I have?
All I know that it is a Gigabyte one.

EDIT
I used speccy (thanks to Herc08)
and I got this: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A68HM-HD2 (P0)

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you open the case and look at the motherboard, it's likely printed on the board itself. As an example, the motherboard model number is printer near the RAM slots:

original-font-b-motherboard-b-font-for-font-b-gigabyte-b-font-GA-G41MT-S2-LGA.jpg

In this instance, the motherboard model number is: GA-G41MT-S2

Sometimes, the motherboard model number is listed near the PCI-Ex16 expansion slots like in this example:

4459_big.jpg

Here, the model number is GA-P61-USB3-B3

Otherwise, you might be able to find out the motherboard model number by downloading and running CPU-Z. It should be listed on the "Mainboard" tab:

02-CPU-Z-Mainboard-Informationen-470.png

-Wolf sends

Edit: Or you could use speccy :D

ghost1234

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Already got it :) Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A68HM-HD2 (P0)

Enter BIOS Setup to set the following items under the Peripherals\GFX Configuration menu:
-- Set Integrated Graphics to Force.
-- Set UMA Frame Buffer Size to 512M or above.
Save the settings and exit BIOS Setup. Restart your computer.

This only works with AMD graphic cards:

An AMD graphics card that supports AMD Dual Graphics technology (for more details, please visit AMD's
official website) and correct driver (For an FM2+ APU, please use an AMD R7 200 series graphics card;
for an FM2 APU, please use an AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 graphics card.)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS