use original Recovery Console w/ SP2?

Hi everyone, I have the original XP installation CD that was before any
service packs. I have updated my computer to SP2. I know I cannot install
the Recovery Console as a startup option with the old CD. I would like to
know if I can boot from the old CD and run the RC to fix disk errors.
Having the RC from the old CD fix errors on a partition containing SP2 will
not cause any problems, will it?

You can install the Recovery Console with the correct set of these boot
disks:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

> You can install the Recovery Console with the correct set of these boot
> disks:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Wow - that would be a great idea. However I don't have a floppy drive. I
do have a CD-RW drive.

Hi, slipstream you original WinXP CD with the SP2 patch and then you can use the
recovery console from the new Win XP SP2 CD you're just created.

Autostreamer
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248
Creating a bootable Windows XP

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Click the Windows XP Faq button and take a look at question 83

freeware CD burning application
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, slipstream you original WinXP CD with the SP2 patch and then you can
> use the recovery console from the new Win XP SP2 CD you're just created.

I'd rather not slipstream because I know very little about CD burning and
that kind of stuff; isn't there an easier option?

> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, slipstream you original WinXP CD with the SP2 patch and then you can
>> use the recovery console from the new Win XP SP2 CD you're just created.
>>

> I'd rather not slipstream because I know very little about CD burning and
> that kind of stuff; isn't there an easier option?

Instead of slipstreaming, and instead of installing the Recovery Console
onto my HD, can't I just run the RC from my old XP CD to repair my hard
drive? Even though the CD is pre-service pack 2?

> "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, slipstream you original WinXP CD with the SP2 patch and then you can
>>> use the recovery console from the new Win XP SP2 CD you're just created.
>>>

>> I'd rather not slipstream because I know very little about CD burning and
>> that kind of stuff; isn't there an easier option?
>
> Instead of slipstreaming, and instead of installing the Recovery Console
> onto my HD, can't I just run the RC from my old XP CD to repair my hard
> drive? Even though the CD is pre-service pack 2?
The only file of which I am aware that RC accesses from the Windows
installation on C: is a file called Autochk.exe[is this correct?]. When the
Recovery Console accesses this file and finds it to be a newer version (SP2)
than what it is expecting, does that confuse RC?

Then you will need to slipstream as already suggested.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Wow - that would be a great idea. However I don't have a floppy drive. I
> do have a CD-RW drive.

Autostreamer (slipstreaming) is easy, get someone to assist you if necessary.

http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
See this for instructions on how to use:-
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

> "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> I'd rather not slipstream because I know very little about CD burning and that
>>> kind of stuff; isn't there an easier option?
>>
>> Instead of slipstreaming, and instead of installing the Recovery Console onto my
>> HD, can't I just run the RC from my old XP CD to repair my hard drive? Even
>> though the CD is pre-service pack 2?
> The only file of which I am aware that RC accesses from the Windows installation on
> C: is a file called Autochk.exe[is this correct?]. When the Recovery Console
> accesses this file and finds it to be a newer version (SP2) than what it is
> expecting, does that confuse RC?

No one can tell me whether it'll cause problems if I just boot off of my old
XP CD and run the old RC from there? Even though the CD is pre-service pack
2 and my hard drive has SP2 installed?