[SOLVED] use PC as a pci-e expansion for use on a mac?

jamkor

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
I have two audio DSP PCI-e cards that I'd like to use in Logic Pro X (apple DAW). I know one option is to buy a standalone PCI-e expansion box (similar to how an eGPU is done), but I don’t see why using a PC that I already have wouldn't be able to be configured to serve the same purpose.

My question is can this be done and how? What is special about the PCI-e boxes that makes it different from a PC. I'd be able to dedicate the box to this purpose if necessary.

Solution
The PCIe slots on a motherboard end up at the CPU socket, where the processor holds the so-called Root Complex, which is the main controller of the entire PCIe bus. External boxes talk to the computer more or less directly or through a switch. They still need a Root Complex to actually work.

The reason why you can't configure another PC like an external box is because there's already a PCIe Root Complex controlling everything its connected to.
The PCIe slots on a motherboard end up at the CPU socket, where the processor holds the so-called Root Complex, which is the main controller of the entire PCIe bus. External boxes talk to the computer more or less directly or through a switch. They still need a Root Complex to actually work.

The reason why you can't configure another PC like an external box is because there's already a PCIe Root Complex controlling everything its connected to.

Solution

jamkor

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012

Thanks very much, makes total sense.

jamkor

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012

I thought about this a bit more. Why can’t a pc be configured like an external box? The data from the cards ultimately has to be exchanged via the usb or thunderbolt cable, so why couldn’t the PC be made to either emulate (via a VM or something) or mimic physically whatever is going on in the expansion box?

Sorry if I am missing something easy, but it seems like it should be something that corks be done. Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
I thought about this a bit more. Why can’t a pc be configured like an external box? The data from the cards ultimately has to be exchanged via the usb or thunderbolt cable, so why couldn’t the PC be made to either emulate (via a VM or something) or mimic physically whatever is going on in the expansion box?

Sorry if I am missing something easy, but it seems like it should be something that corks be done. Thanks!
Because the USB and Thunderbolt spec does not include direct PC to PC comms.
PC to storage, or PC to a GPU, yes.