Use power bank instead of laptop battery?

CryingLegend

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
I have an old HP Probook from 2010 that have a bad battery. I was wondering if I could buy an external laptop battery/power bank and use it instead of the laptop battery. The laptop battery is removable and I currently use it only when connected through the power brick. Could the external battery pack be used instead of the power brick to make it portable?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I have an old HP Probook from 2010 that have a bad battery. I was wondering if I could buy an external laptop battery/power bank and use it instead of the laptop battery. The laptop battery is removable and I currently use it only when connected through the power brick. Could the external battery pack be used instead of the power brick to make it portable?

You can, but a good one to use for this purpose will likely cost you more than simply replacing the battery to begin with.

Reactions: CryingLegend
You'd have to find a power bank that has an AC output and use the laptop's AC adapter, since no power bank will provide any (safe) connection directly into the laptop of this vintage.

And also you have the disadvantage of not knowing how much battery life you have left unless the battery bank has an always-on display or something.

What model probook do you have??? These are sold by the thousands to corporations so there's plenty of aftermarket batteries available. We've been using Probooks for years. We had an old windows XP machine laying around in the lab, I bought a new battery for it and it was like $25 on amazon. It's working decent so far. Most batteries on Amazon are $20-$40 depending on the laptop.
Here's a battery for a Probook G1 series for $30: https://www.amazon.com/DR-BATTERY-Replacement-708457-001-707616-851/dp/B095VC3TW6

Reactions: CryingLegend

CryingLegend

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
What model probook do you have??? These are sold by the thousands to corporations so there's plenty of aftermarket batteries available. We've been using Probooks for years. We had an old windows XP machine laying around in the lab, I bought a new battery for it and it was like $25 on amazon. It's working decent so far. Most batteries on Amazon are $20-$40 depending on the laptop.
Here's a battery for a Probook G1 series for $30: https://www.amazon.com/DR-BATTERY-Replacement-708457-001-707616-851/dp/B095VC3TW6
I have a probook 6450b and I checked and found them on amazon for 30USD in my country. I will probably go this route, the laptop battery pack seems to be too much work and money.

Reactions: gggplaya

CryingLegend

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
That was my second lease laptop I had with my company, except mine was the 6550b version with the 15" screen.
Yeah they seem very popular among companies, I believe mine is from a family friend that got to keep his old working laptop. Found it at the bottom of a pile of cables and old laptops.