Use product key from store bought computer?

steven37

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if it's possible to use a Windows product key that someone buy's from a store such as a HP or Dell and use that key when installing Windows on a new computer. Not saying I would try to use the same product key on 2 systems because of course I would erase all data on the old pc.

I do know how to obtain the product key within the OS but I just want to know if I can use it on a different computer

steven37

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012

If I did this, I would be able to use it on a new system right? Think it will work?

http://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/

USAFRet

Titan

No, that does nothing, really.
You can't use that OEM license in a different system.

That 'uninstall' thing simply tells that particular PC it no longer has a license.
It does not allow an OEM license to be used elsewhere, nor does it call home and tell MS.

steven37

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012

I actually do not have a computer, but if this is possible to do I was going to jump on Craigslist and buy a cheap computer just for the Windows product key to save some money. It will most likely be Windows 7

jediTT

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I always thought when you buy a box pc, you're buying the system and the license that came on it. I know a lot of the newer systems and most Windows 8 systems have the key saved in the BIOs. You can try to pull your key using magicjellybean but if it's stored in the BIOs you can use RW-Everything to pull it from there.

@OP Windows 7 is what like $80? Can you find a Windows 7 machine on craigslist cheaper than that?
http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=45271&vpn=GFC-02733&manufacture=Microsoft&promoid=1549

USAFRet

Titan

A new Windows 7 is only ~$100.
What PC can you get from craigslist that 1. is cheaper than that, and 2. has a known viable OS license?

But no, what you desire won't work.
Just buy a new OS license for your new PC.

USAFRet

Titan

You're getting the license to use that OS, on that particular box. Only transferable, and usable, on that box/motherboard.
You can't transfer that OEM license to something completely different.