Question Use Radeon X1300 / X1550 with Ultra Wide Screen monitor?

Aug 25, 2020
Hello,

I have two computers at home, one from work and my old personal desktop, both currently sharing the same Samsung monitor (16:9, 1920 x 1080, one via HDMI and the other via VGA ports). I'm looking in to a new external monitor to share between both computers. Not for gaming, BTW - more for the extra size and desktop space.

One option I've been looking in to are the newer Ultra Wide Screen Monitors such as the LG 25UM58-G or the LG 25UM58-P. Most likely the first one (G) as it's more accessible in terms of price and availability. Both of these have advertised resolution as 2560 x 1080 and 21:9 screen proportion.

However, there are two points I need to consider when connecting it to my home PC, and for which I need advice:

1. Will my home Dell PC with the Radeon X1300/X1550 work with the mentioned LG Wide Screens?
    • Will the Radeon provide a resolution close to the LG's 2560 x 1080?
    • If not, then will the Radeon be able to provide 1920 x 1080 and the LG monitor keep that image proportional (e.g.: centered on the monitor) and not stretch it?
  2. The Radeon has two VGA outputs but no HDMI. The aforementioned monitors only have HDMI inputs
    • Will a decent, powered VGA-to-HDMI converter be a good solution?
I actually have a 4K LG TV here but unfortunately it doesn't have VGA input either, so I can't even test it. But I'd like to get some insight before I make any commitments.

More details on my computer specs below.

Grateful for any support.

Mike

Work computer:
  • HP Z15
  • Windows 10 64-bits
  • 32 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA Quadro M2000M
Home computer:
  • Dell Optiplex 740
  • Windows 7 64-bit
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Radeon X1300 / X1550