Use Remote Desktop (or similar) between two computers on the same network

aslaksonal

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
The router is a Cradlepoint MBR1200B with the latest firmware. Both computers are running Windows 8.1 Pro,and are current with all MS updates. One is connected by wifi, the other ethernet.

On the wired one, there's no monitor, keyboard or mouse normally connected - it's an HTPC, and the video goes to the big TV. But the video editing work gets done on the other one, and moving those big video files via file sharing takes way too long. I have a switchable drive that can connect to either of the computers - and use it to transfer those big files.

This all worked on the old router - a Cradlepoint MBR-95. But not on the new one.

File sharing works - I can see the HTPC drives on the editing computer - but Remote Desktop doesn't find it. Coincidentally, the media server running on the HTPC can't be seen by the editing computer either. I suspect it's a common cause.

Any ideas on what I should be twiddling - or even on some other application I could use to the same effect?

Thanks

al

aslaksonal

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

Thought about that, tried both as wired with no success. Laptop IP: 192:168:0:153. HTPC Box: 192:168:0:97

FWIW the Router dashboard also shows that the wired network shows an IPV6 address while the WiFi doesn't. Both show IPV4 addresses.

al