Use server RAM for PC?

PinoProxy

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Hi all,

I'm quite happily using a relatively old PC I put together and wanted to get some more RAM for it, so I found these really cheap ones that looked interesting:
KINGSTON 4GB (2X2GB) PC2-5300 UN-BUFFERED MEMORY KIT - KTH-XW9400K2/4G
http://www.pinnacledata.co.uk/server-memory/kingston-4gb-2x2gb-pc25300-unbuffered-memory-kit-0/

I checked all the details with my current setup and it seemed like it should work with my motherboard and existing RAM (although the one above seems to be running at a slower speed). But on the checkout it said:
NB - This item is for use with servers only - not PCs or laptops

So now I'm doubting if I'm making the right choice, can someone please confirm if this RAM is compatible with my existing PC, which is:

• ■ Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ATX Board, Intel P35 (Core2 Quad) Socket 775 Motherboard (rev 1.0 I think) - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2543#sp
    ■ Corsair (TWIN2X2048-5400C4) 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 675MHz/PC2 5400 PC Memory non-ECC unbuffered 4-4-4-12 Black Heat Spreader
    ■ Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB Cache, Quad Core socket 775 Processor
Thanks in advance

Solution
Had some difficulty in finding specifications for this Kingston memory. But it appears to be registered memory (RDIMM) which is NOT compatible with the GA-P35-DS3R motherboard.

Only standard unbuffered (UDIMM or DIMM) memory is compatible.
Had some difficulty in finding specifications for this Kingston memory. But it appears to be registered memory (RDIMM) which is NOT compatible with the GA-P35-DS3R motherboard.

Only standard unbuffered (UDIMM or DIMM) memory is compatible.

Solution

PinoProxy

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

Thanks brispuss, you're right, I had also sent them an email and they replied today saying:

All the memory we stock is ECC registered which is only suitable for use in servers. This may look like the same spec as your laptop/ desktop memory but it unfortunately wouldn’t be compatible.

So unfortunately looks like I need to look elsewhere for cheap DDR2 RAM

PinoProxy

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Actually can brispuss or someone confirm that the RAM I need, which would be compatible with my motherboard is non-ECC unbuffered 240 pin DDR2 DIMM?
Thanks in advance

The GA-P35-DS3R motherboard uses the Intel P35 chipset. This chipset has the memory controller integrated within it. The memory controller does not support ECC function, see this document which also specifies that unbuffered non-ECC memory is to be used.

TRENDING THREADS