Use SODIMMs on dekstop MB with adapter/converter

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Two years back, when RAM prices where half those today, I got my laptop upgraded to 16GB of SODIMM RAM. The model is KINGSTON KVR13S9K2/16 16GB (2X8GB) SO-DIMM DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHZ CL9.

Today my laptop is not in use so I was thinking about salvaging the SODIMMs on Sandy Bridge desktop of mine with MB ASUS P8Z68V_PRO. Both the SODIMS and the MB are 1333MHz (PC3-10600) compatible and the whole idea is around the use of a Desktop RAM 240 Pin DDR3 204PIN Laptop Internal Memory Card Adaptor Converter I found on Amazon. Also the operating voltage is 1,5Volts respectively.

So my question is if my two 8GB SODIMMs are going to work on my old P8Z68V Pro MB. I do overclock but I am not crazy, if the adapter has its own mind about it. I prefer more RAM on my system than more speed.

So instead of buying more RAM for my old desktop, I want to save tons of money by just spending 18€ for the two adaptors. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

P8Z68V_PRO specs

Kingston KVR13S9K2/16 16GB (8GB x2) specs

Mark RM

Admirable
Every glitch I ever experienced I would blame on those adapters.

They probably work fine, but this kind of thing just introduces issues where none should exist. It's not like the RAM on SODIMMS is critically different than a regular DIMM so it might be fine even with the extra trace length added.

Thanks for showing me though, I've never looked into it.

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
@Mark RM Glad I helped. Yes any kind of instability will make me test things with regular DIMMs on my desktop.

@USAFRet Unfortunately the laptop was also upgraded with 3x 2TB 2.5 inch drives, the 3rd with the use of Sata HDD Caddy on the place where the DVD-ROM was and it serves me now as NAS. With the old RAM ofcourse.

The laptop is a Dell XPS 17

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
For anybody out there that is interested. I did buy the adapters and now I am using the old laptop SODIMMs on my desktop PC. Everything works fine except I had to disable the high overclock I had configured my PC with the old ram. This is expected since I would do the same even if I had to buy regular desktop RAM to upgrade. I will try to overclock anew and will inform accordingly.

I have an 850 Pro as system boot drive with the RAPID mode enabled which means that the SSD is using 1 GB of system's RAM cache all the time. I also plan to use PrimoCache for the same for the rest of my 4 non SSD drives assigning some of the RAM for HDD drives' cache. It is something I used to do with my old 6GB RAM with no problems at all, except that now my PC feels more responding and I can multitask more easy before the swap file be used.

I even managed to overclock the system again the previous settings. Things going so good that I am planning on buying two more adapters in order to fill the rest two RAM banks (now filled 2 out of 4), with more memory SODIMM RAM I do have, which was the old RAM before the laptop upgrade to 16GB.

So the out of the box way of thinking seems to be working here. But bear in mind that it is not guaranteed. If one is interested to do the same, first try it on your PC configuration and the proceed with something similar.