Use SSD as cache

harry twigg

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015
I have a mechanical hard drive and a SSD, I tried installing Windows to the SSD and changing install locations to my hard drive with regedit but its causing too many problems. How would I be able to install Windows to my mechanical drive but use the SSD as cache for booting windows and frequently used files?

Solution
In theory a ssd cache is nice, but generally impractical.
The cache needs to be large enough to hold most of what you regularly use to be effective.
It is much better to use a ssd for windows.
What is the make/model/size of your ssd?

If you really pushed, 64gb is possible, but 120 or 240gb is what is recommended.
Many things default to the C drive.
Leave your hard drive disconnected when you install windows.

Later you can reconnect the hard drive and any files will be available.
Apps will need to be reinstalled.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how big is ssd? Is this a Brand name or Custom PC? If brand name, what make/model? If custom, what motherboard

depending on age, some Newer PC can't do this as its not supported by my motherboard, for instance. THey removed feature on Z97 boards as ssd are big enough now to run win 10 off.

what you need to do is set up ssd & hdd in raid and once win 10 is installed on the hdd, run Intel Smart response technologies to set the ssd up as a cache drive
http://www.pcworld.com/article/248828/how_to_setup_intel_smart_response_ssd_caching_technology.html

harry twigg

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015

I'm guessing you need an Intel Processor for this? I have a custom AMD build

Colif

Win 11 Master

I don't know, I will find out... its obvious you can't use the Intel way but i see if there is another.

In theory a ssd cache is nice, but generally impractical.
The cache needs to be large enough to hold most of what you regularly use to be effective.
It is much better to use a ssd for windows.
What is the make/model/size of your ssd?

If you really pushed, 64gb is possible, but 120 or 240gb is what is recommended.
Many things default to the C drive.
Leave your hard drive disconnected when you install windows.

Later you can reconnect the hard drive and any files will be available.
Apps will need to be reinstalled.

Solution