Use switch to share internet, not enough IPs

goray

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
Greetings, been in this forum for a while, although I am just CD-rom. (read only)
I am an average computer guy, I work as a helpdesk in my company. but I am dumb with network. so Please give me some suggestions.
anyway, Me and my sister each have a computer, and we both like to use BitTorrent & gaming. so I think a switch will be great to share my ADSL, since my ISP give me 2 IP address (register MAC). I didn't want a router because I hate all these port forwarding and what not.(and I can't figure it out)
now If I have another computer (3rd) that want to connect to internet, Is the switch any help?
fact is, I can't get another IP (or register another MAC) from my ISP.
I understand there are many ways, router, another NIC to crossover to the 3rd computer...etc.
<b>But I wanted to know If my 5 ports Switch can share internet with 2 IPs and 3 Computers.</b>

if I could, what setting should I do on computer 1 and 2?
they will be all using windows XP. and the third will be Suse9.2 (I like the GUI, and I use Fedora and Mandrake at work and it is boring.) should I setup an link to comp 3 ?
anyway, I aplogize for my spelling/grammar, being an non-english speaker this take me a long time to type.

riser

Illustrious
No, you won't be able to share 3 computers with 2 IPs using a switch UNLESS you setup Internet Connection Sharing (do a google search for that and you'll get perfect instructions).

Now, any router today, chances are you won't need to do port forwarding. If you were to pick up a 4 port switch/router combo like the Linksys.. you hook it up, can drop that 2nd IP off your ISP, hook it in. All 3 computers will not have access.

The router will need minimal configuration, but it's a very easy web screen to set up. The directions will walk you through step by step and option by option. It's a lot easier than you're thinking. It'll run you around 40 dollars for the Linksys.

Even then, if you have problems, you can post back here and within a little bit someone here will get back to you and tell you what you need to do.

goray

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
Now, any router today, chances are you won't need to do port forwarding. If you were to pick up a 4 port switch/router combo like the Linksys.. you hook it up, can drop that 2nd IP off your ISP, hook it in. All 3 computers will not have access.
Sorry, I am not quite sure what you mean, so a router/switch combo is 1 hardware or router + swtich 2 hardware?
and this combo can do direct connections? p2p ? without port forwarding if I have 2 IPs ?
I'll do something like that if I can't solve it, ADSL->Switch->router. I'll have to buy 2 piece of hardware, but I can't afford not to have direct p2p access.

And You mean by setting up internet connection, that means a local area network right? I can do that. problem is I don't know what the hardware configuration is. so 3 computer just hook to the switch and start from there ?

Thank you and you have been very helpful.

riser

Illustrious
In internet explorer you can run ICS and it'll create a bootdisk that you go to each computer. Basically, it tells your other computers to point to 1 computer for internet access. Internet Properties - Connections - Setup - follow the steps.

That'll work.

Otherwise you could just buy a router (router has a built in switch, 1 piece of hardware) which will allow p2p..

In most cases you don't have to do port forwarding as routers can pick up on that from internal programs.

Bob369

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2005
If you use ICS (internet connection sharing), your main computer will require two NICs.

Your best bet would be to buy a router. Most of them are multiport routers, gerneally 4-5 ports. All of your PCs can plug directly into the router and share one IP address.

If by chance you end up with more computers than ports on your router; you can plug your switch into your router and plug all the devices into the switch.

My PC:
Abit AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890
AMD Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256 Mb PCIe
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition

riser

Illustrious
The main computer wouldn't require 2 NICs for ICS if using a switch. It would act as a proxy and forward out any requests sent to it from other computers.

While spending the extra 20-30 dollars to upgrade from a switch to router is suggested, ICS is a cheaper alternative. I'm not fond of ICS unless in extreme circumstances though.

Bob369

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2005
i have never dealt much with ICS, my few times have been with two NICS

so your basically saying to use ICS with one NIC you basically make one computer a server?

Would it still require more than one IP?

Im sorry i hijacked your post i just wanted to ask riser these questions..

as for you.. buy a router it will save you the headache

My PC:
Abit AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890
AMD Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256 Mb PCIe
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition

riser

Illustrious
More of a proxy than a server.. but a server nonetheless.

Well.. let me say, if you're using dial up you can pull it off with 1 Nic.

Using broadband, it'll want to change your IP address to a 192.168.x.x. address, so you need 2 Nics :)

Using a modem, you only need 1 NIC, or if you're behind a router you can pull it off with 1 NIC, but it would just be easier to just run through the router. :)

I wrote that thinking "wait, you don't always need 2 nics." Now I'll need to read his post to see if he was using broadband or if he didn't state it.

Sorry for messing with your head on that one.. you're right, you need 2 nics with broadband, but 1 when using a modem. :)

Edit:

Ok, he mentioned DSL.

I'm sure you could rig something like ICS, but a 3rd party app as a Proxy router. I never really checked too much into ICS, but I'm thinking if you just set your IE proxy to hit computer A which would be running some form of maybe even a free proxy server, you'd get internet access.

Confusing, but hey.. :)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by riser on 08/04/05 09:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ramilfalco

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
hello bro:)

trythis i think this would be better for you.

try to download analog proxy it is a program that shares internet connection to other computers connected to your network ok?

just install this to your Pc which is directly connected to your ADSL interface and thats all!

and configure your other PC's IE browser connetion settings and it is not hoard to it also because you can read imidiately the manual after installing the the analog program.

the easiest way bro!

i'll give you the program if you want just send me your email ok?

rolski

P.S.

and please dont tell your self your dump because i'm dumm also:)

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Just getting a small home router w/ built in switch would be MUCH easier to setup than trying to share to 3 computers w/o one. If you just bought a little linksys wrt54g or something you would have internet up and running on all 3 comps in like 5 minutes. With ICS/proxies/etc you will always be fiddling with stuff.
Port forwarding is rediculously simple if you want/need ports.

endorphine44

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
go get a linksys router with 4 port switch built in. Office depot, best buy, comp usa and wal mart carry them. Plug DSL -> Router (labeled WAN on the linksys box you just purchased) -> plug all 3 computers into any of the 4 LAN ports on the linksys box. There may be some slight configuration needed for the router, but the instructions should be able to explain most of it. If not, linksys has a good tech support line that can walk you through it. You'll only need 1 IP address from your ISP so you can quit paying for the second one.