[SOLVED] Use the HDMI port on a USB-C hub on a desktop

Oct 9, 2020
I am using a USB-C hub to connect my monitor, keyboard and mouse to my work laptop
My desktop has a Gigabyte b360m d3h motherboard which has a USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 port.
I tried to plug the hub to the USB-C port on my desktop, mouse and keyboard worked but no signal from HDMI.
How can I use the HDMI port on a USB-C hub on my desktop?

P.s I have a graphic card installed, I tried to enable IGFX in BIOS it will post but it wont boot into Windows

Solution
The confusion is because the Type C connector and socket system is used for USB3.2 AND for other purposes that are NOT USB. On many desktop computer rear panels there are Type C sockets that are used, instead, as a Display Port for video generated on the mobo (either from an on-board video chip, or from a CPU with integrated graphics). Similarly, if you have an added video card, it may have a Type C Display Port socket on its rear panel for output from the board. But in both cases these are NOT being used as USB 3.2 ports. And just for confusion, the mobo's rear output panel very commonly now DOES include a real USB 3.2 Gen2 port that is a Type C socket!

On the laptop, apparently its Type C port has been set up for BOTH uses, because...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The confusion is because the Type C connector and socket system is used for USB3.2 AND for other purposes that are NOT USB. On many desktop computer rear panels there are Type C sockets that are used, instead, as a Display Port for video generated on the mobo (either from an on-board video chip, or from a CPU with integrated graphics). Similarly, if you have an added video card, it may have a Type C Display Port socket on its rear panel for output from the board. But in both cases these are NOT being used as USB 3.2 ports. And just for confusion, the mobo's rear output panel very commonly now DOES include a real USB 3.2 Gen2 port that is a Type C socket!

On the laptop, apparently its Type C port has been set up for BOTH uses, because it CAN function as a USB3.2 port but also carries a video signal out to the Hub supplied with it. I do not think that is part of any USB3.2 standard, but I may be wrong about that. However, that unusual configuration is NOT common on desktop systems, so I am not surprised that the two computer systems do not work the same for you, OP.

Solution
Welcome to the land of USB-C, where everything but USB 2.0 is optional.

But otherwise yes, as stated before, the hub was likely using a USB-C port that could carry video signals to drive the HDMI port on it. It won't work if the USB-C port doesn't have an alt-mode to carry the video signal.