Question Use two raid controllers

Feb 26, 2019
Hello all, I'm currently in the process of building a home media server. I will be running a raid 5 configuration with 8 4tb hard drives. Im currently using a vantech ugt-st644r controller card, I plan on erasing the current array before upgrading. My question is can I use 2 identical raid controller to utilize 8 total sata 3 ports for my raid 5 configuration? Both cards will be the vantech UGT-ST644R

Do you really need raid, don't think of it as security/backup treat is as assuring uptime, so even with raid you still need a backup. Can you live with hours of downtime if you lose a disk and have to recover? Most people can.

With this in mind would it not be better to not go down the route of data and backup drives.

Feb 26, 2019
Hey thanks for the reply. Yes raid is a must as I will have redundancy in the event of a failure. That's why I prefer using raid 5 as I can have a single drive fail. Replace,rebuild, good to go... I use Western digital red Nas series drives so the odds of them failing are slim. The other main reason I use raid is so the OS see's all the disks as one physical drive. Having my media archived on multiple drives in multiple directories would be a absolute pain! Not to mention speeds (read,write) would become a bottleneck in my setup. When it comes to programs applications such as plex it would be a absolute nightmare to have your media stored on multiple drives. I may just buy a good raid controller with dedicated 8 ports. Me being me decided to cheap out as Canada computers has the vantech controller I'm currently using for 70$.