[SOLVED] Used 1080ti a good buy right now?

Feb 24, 2021
Hi guys. I've got my main gaming rig and also a recycled Shuttle SFF made of second-hand parts. I'm now looking to build another SFF again with second-hand parts mainly as a hobby now rather than necessity.

My main rig has the following specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Sapphire RX580 Nitro 8gb
16 Gb ram
1tb NVME, 1Tb SSD

Not really relevant but the Shuttle has:
i7 2600
MSI GTX 970 4gb
120 SSD
240SSD

I have a left-over Ryzen 1600 AF for the new SFF build and I'm thinking of buying a used 1080ti for £350 I have just seen on Facebook Marketplace which I could drop into my main rig for better 1440p gaming and the incumbent RX580 could go into my new SFF build.

Do you guys think this is a good idea or should I just keep my RX580 in my main rig for a bit longer and wait for the prices of 1080ti/2070/5700XT prices to fall when mining dies out?

I think £360 for a 1080ti performance seems like a good buy or have I been skewed by all the crazy prices of 2021?

Thanks for reading!

Solution
Is it still usable for you to game on? Do you regret buying it now then?
100% regret that, even if you find it for a good price like 300$ you. An wait and get the 3070 fe this 100 or 200$ more that you gonna spend on that card is totally worth it , and i mean it totally worth it or you can go for the 3060ti
Feb 24, 2021
I think a new RTX3060 would give it a run if you could find one at MSRP, but otherwise, about right in terms of price/performance, for the UK at least.

Keep an eye out for RTX 2080 and 2080 Super as well.

I guess that's the dilemma for most upgraders right now, how long will this inflation bubble last and also the scarcity of new cards. I'm not desperate for a new GPU but equally my new 1440p ultrawide is really starting to push the limits of my RX580 now.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I suspect it is going to last through the year. I think I will wait for the next generation myself, maybe try out Intel Xe. (They had better not restrict that thing to the latest chipset or something, or there will be heck to pay) Not that I wouldn't buy the latest chipset, but it would really be crippling at launch. We really need that third competitor.

Hard to believe my 1080 is going to turn five years old in a few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Mar 2, 2021
Hi guys. I've got my main gaming rig and also a recycled Shuttle SFF made of second-hand parts. I'm now looking to build another SFF again with second-hand parts mainly as a hobby now rather than necessity.

My main rig has the following specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Sapphire RX580 Nitro 8gb
16 Gb ram
1tb NVME, 1Tb SSD

Not really relevant but the Shuttle has:
i7 2600
MSI GTX 970 4gb
120 SSD
240SSD

I have a left-over Ryzen 1600 AF for the new SFF build and I'm thinking of buying a used 1080ti for £350 I have just seen on Facebook Marketplace which I could drop into my main rig for better 1440p gaming and the incumbent RX580 could go into my new SFF build.

Do you guys think this is a good idea or should I just keep my RX580 in my main rig for a bit longer and wait for the prices of 1080ti/2070/5700XT prices to fall when mining dies out?

I think £360 for a 1080ti performance seems like a good buy or have I been skewed by all the crazy prices of 2021?

Thanks for reading!
Nope just bought one and its really in a bad condition, used in mining probably, used intensively, used from one to another , and no one will ever tell you the truth of the usage history.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Personally, only bought the one used card, a ASUS GTX580 DCUII. It came in the original box (something I highly recommend, people that keep the boxes tend to take care of their stuff or always planned to sell it on) No issues with it and I sold it for pocket money a few years ago.

Or buy from other hardware nerds. Reddit.com/r/hardwareswap is a decent place. You can also post in the Tomshardware Classifieds section to see if anyone wants to part with stuff.

As for cards used in mining, can always get new fans or replace the heatsink entirely. Wear and tear on the silicon, memory, and VRMs should be relatively minor. Effectively that is what GPUs are designed to do. So while they might have lost some lifespan, they are more likely to keep running years more. Not to say that they are ideal, but you don't plan on doing something as torturous. Stability issues you can always downclock them a little.

Reactions: KC_UK_PCbuild
Feb 24, 2021
Yep no qualms about buying used GPUs per se. My current Rx580, a miners favourite, is an ex-mining card refurbed by Sapphire. Got it in 2019 for £120. Had no problems at all with it.

However, I did buy a used 1060 last month which shorted on boot and took out my PSU which then in turn fried my mobo and CPU so there is always a risk even if a calculated one.

Mar 2, 2021
Is it still usable for you to game on? Do you regret buying it now then?
100% regret that, even if you find it for a good price like 300$ you. An wait and get the 3070 fe this 100 or 200$ more that you gonna spend on that card is totally worth it , and i mean it totally worth it or you can go for the 3060ti

Solution
Feb 24, 2021
Looking at specs and TechPower Up's comparison, I think the 3060 Ti looks like the best value for money at MSRP. I think I'll wait for the prices to normalise and wait for one to come up or a second hand one to appear when the miners sell up.

Thanks guys