Question Used an i3 10105 on 100c for 4 days, should I replace it?

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
The CPU I have turned out to be the tray version, not the box one thus it has no pre installed thermal paste. so the CPU has been running raw, normal usage while temperatures are 100c (18% usage with 100c degrees), should I put thermal paste on it and reattach the Intel stock cooler or call the store for a total replacement? I just saw a thread somewhere saying that running on 100c is enough to end a CPU's lifetime in 27 days so I assume I already killed enough health out of it in a 20 hour usage on 100c?

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
The person I saw the thread of used the thumb theory in electronics and while it may not be 100% correct, the thought of losing CPU significantly in just a few days is terrifying.
And no, I'm using Intel Stock cooler, Bitfenix Nova Mesh TG with a front fan and an exhaust fan and despite all that it doesn't help(the CPU fan is well-installed as well), the CPU is at 30-35c while idle, then rockets to the 60s, 80s and 90s within 15 seconds when utilizing 15% of its usage for example. 20 seconds and it's a stable 100c.

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
Alright but anyway should I return it? it's been 4 days since I got the PC and according to my calculations, I used it for 20 hours on 100c degree gaming, it didn't stutter while gaming or throttle by more than 100mhz, so am I fine to set up everything from the beginning or is it too late?

USAFRet

Titan
Alright but anyway should I return it? it's been 4 days since I got the PC and according to my calculations, I used it for 20 hours on 100c degree gaming, it didn't stutter while gaming or throttle by more than 100mhz, so am I fine to set up everything from the beginning or is it too late?
Build the system properly.
It is almost certainly OK.

I had a i5-3570k that ran with an improperly installed CPU cooler for 3-4 weeks, 24/7.
I did not realize it was idling at 70C and 100C under use.

It ran just fine for several years after that.

'the thumb theory'?
No idea what that is.

Rising to 100C indicates a faulty cooler installation.
Rule of thumb: electronics fail at around 110°
As USAFRet already said the CPU throttles down and keeps itself safe so you should be ok.
Also there is no legal way for you to return it, the CPU works normally and even if it wouldn't right now it would be because of your error so there is no claim for returning it.

Also what motherboard do you have? Could it be applying bad default settings? Like way too high pl2? (long term boost)

Electronics fail when exceeding whatever temp limit they are designed for.
110C is not universal across all electronics.

For instance, parts of my 3D printer is designed around 220C....;)

A PC CPU is designed around 100C. It will either throttle performance or shut off to stay at or below that.
Yes, that's why it's a rule of thumb and not a universal law or whatever else.
Most people have that number in their head when thinking about safe temps in electronics.

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
Rule of thumb: electronics fail at around 110°

As USAFRet already said the CPU throttles down and keeps itself safe so you should be ok.
Also there is no legal way for you to return it, the CPU works normally and even if it wouldn't right now it would be because of your error so there is no claim for returning it.

Also what motherboard do you have? Could it be applying bad default settings? Like way too high pl2? (long term boost)
My MOBO is the Gigabyte B560M H

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
running on 100c is enough to end a CPU's lifetime in 27 days
uUOki0w.png

Also, 27 days? that's oddly specific. I'm calling <Mod Edit>.

Apply paste this time and reseat the cooler, it ought to run fine.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
The CPU I have turned out to be the tray version, not the box one thus it has no pre installed thermal paste. so the CPU has been running raw, normal usage while temperatures are 100c (18% usage with 100c degrees), should I put thermal paste on it and reattach the Intel stock cooler or call the store for a total replacement? I just saw a thread somewhere saying that running on 100c is enough to end a CPU's lifetime in 27 days so I assume I already killed enough health out of it in a 20 hour usage on 100c?
If it was a store that built that you need to do 2 things.
  1. Slap the builder into next week for being a chump
  2. make them give you thermal paste.

Jan 22, 2022
The CPU is most definitely not fried if the computer runs and stays running.

Processors are very delicate, 100c CPU could also indicate motherboard problems, but you even said yourself. There's no thermal paste.

Apply thermal paste to the back of the CPU and re-attach the fan ASAP.

FYI, Stock coolers work a treat.