[SOLVED] Used CMOS button to clear bios PC was shutdown but I didn't hit the PSU switch

Jul 19, 2021
Was messing with Infinity Fabric Voltage messed something up caused a hang. I shutdown my PC pressed the CMOS button without turning PSU off. Everything booted fine and looks fine bios cleared but was wondering if shutting down the system was enough and or should I have turned the PSU switch off as well? Could I have damaged anything?

Solution
Was messing with Infinity Fabric Voltage messed something up caused a hang. I shutdown my PC pressed the CMOS button without turning PSU off. Everything booted fine and looks fine bios cleared but was wondering if shutting down the system was enough and or should I have turned the PSU switch off as well? Could I have damaged anything?
If it achieved CMOS reset, it didn't damage anything . With newest MBs CMOS may not completely reset to factory settings if you don't remove CMOS battery too. There are hidden settings that are not reset only by button. Easiest way to check is to see if time/date has changed.

Lutfij

Titan
When you proceed with a CMOS reset/removal, it's a good idea to power down the system and disconnect the system from your monitor as well, then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to remove any residual power(drain the capacitors on your platform). As for your concern with damage, if the platform is working as it did prior to your tinkering, then you're fine.

Reactions: CountMike
If it achieved CMOS reset, it didn't damage anything . With newest MBs CMOS may not completely reset to factory settings if you don't remove CMOS battery too. There are hidden settings that are not reset only by button. Easiest way to check is to see if time/date has changed.

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I have my cases Reset button connected to the 2 pins for CMOS Reset. Couple of days ago, I forgot about that...PC was running and I pressed that Reset button. Computer restarted, with BIOS defaults. I would NOT suggest repeating that.
But I have been overclocking RAM for the past 3 days. Lots of CMOS resets, probably 30-50. I shut down PC but not ONCE have I turned off PSU or pulled power from the wall. Nothings happened yet. It resets like normal and everything else is like usual.

I would say it's on your own risk. I just can't be bothered.