Used CPU, all there? What size fan?

Hi,

I bought an AMD 800 MHz CPU off of ebay, and when it came it didn't
look like the Intel CPU's I've had in the past, or that third brand.
Those all had plain flat tops, and with the thermal gooey stuff in the
envelope, the fan stuck to the entire 2" x 2" top.

This one has a rectangle sticking up in the middle, and 5 little
rectangles sticking up above and below that one, then one on the left
and 3 on the right. Plus it has 4 little black foam circles, one at
each corner.

I would think the top of the cpu had been ripped off, but it also has
AMD written at the top and ASSEMBLED IN MALAYSIA on the left side.
Plus it has a bar code on a white sticker on the bottom (the bottom of
the top, when "AMD" is right side up. :) )

Did I get a whole CPU here??

If so, what size fan should I use for 800 MHz? The fan that is about
as big as the CPU, 2" x 2", or the one that is 6" x 2"??

Either way, I only need to put that white thermal grease-stuff on the
main rectangle in the middle that sticks up above the surface, right??

In general, does it hurt to use a fan that is bigger than what was
sold when the CPU was first sold?

I still have a 200 MHz computer, but my friend gave me several of
those 6x2 inch fans. If I use a big fan on a little CPU, will it run
too cold and I'll get bad mileage?

Well, maybe I'm confusing this with my car and the engine temperature,
but it's still a real question.

Thanks.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

> Hi,

Hello.

> I bought an AMD 800 MHz CPU off of ebay, and when it came it didn't
> look like the Intel CPU's I've had in the past, or that third brand.
> Those all had plain flat tops, and with the thermal gooey stuff in the
> envelope, the fan stuck to the entire 2" x 2" top.
>
> This one has a rectangle sticking up in the middle, and 5 little
> rectangles sticking up above and below that one, then one on the left
> and 3 on the right. Plus it has 4 little black foam circles, one at
> each corner.
>
> I would think the top of the cpu had been ripped off, but it also has
> AMD written at the top and ASSEMBLED IN MALAYSIA on the left side.
> Plus it has a bar code on a white sticker on the bottom (the bottom of
> the top, when "AMD" is right side up. :) )
>
> Did I get a whole CPU here??

Yes, everything is normal for an AMD processor. They don't have a large
heat-spreader over the central core.
http://www.kumagaya.or.jp/~touma/image17/amd_cpu.jpg

> If so, what size fan should I use for 800 MHz? The fan that is about
> as big as the CPU, 2" x 2", or the one that is 6" x 2"??

I would expect that all heatsink/fan units (HSF) that are available today
are good enough for an 800MHz cpu. Just make sure you get a socket A one.
The box in comes in or specifications on the web site will tell you what it
is caperble of cooling up to. Another thing to look for is how quiet it is,
rated in dB, lower is better, try to get close to 20dB.

> Either way, I only need to put that white thermal grease-stuff on the
> main rectangle in the middle that sticks up above the surface, right??

Yes. Just a thin layer on the central bit, this IS the processor core that
gets HOT. Some thermal compound is conductive so don't get it over
everything else or you can short the components out.

There are lots of instructions on the web on how to apply it.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

> In general, does it hurt to use a fan that is bigger than what was
> sold when the CPU was first sold?

No. Colder is better.

> I still have a 200 MHz computer, but my friend gave me several of
> those 6x2 inch fans. If I use a big fan on a little CPU, will it run
> too cold and I'll get bad mileage?

No. Colder is better.

> Well, maybe I'm confusing this with my car and the engine temperature,
> but it's still a real question.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Meirman

Your welcome
Adam S

Thanks a lot. You answered all my questions.

The web site is good too.

(answer delayed while I checked something. Nothing found to report.)

P&M because it's been 8 days.

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt on Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:53:17 -0000
"Adam S" <as538nospam@eng.cam.ac.uk> posted: