[SOLVED] Used CPU seller says its Delided?

hi2011090536

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
Hello! I found a good deal on a mobo and 8700k combo im looking at buying for my girlfriends PC. The seller said "Just a heads up the CPU is delided". I did my research so I understand what it actually means now, but I want to ask opinions on if it's worth it or if there is anything I should be warned of about it?
It's an EVGA z320 classified K mobo with an i7 8700k for $200 USD. Comes with some ThermalRight cooler but I wanted to use my old hyper 212 Evo rgb.
Thanks for reading!

Solution
Hello! I found a good deal on a mobo and 8700k combo im looking at buying for my girlfriends PC. The seller said "Just a heads up the CPU is delided". I did my research so I understand what it actually means now, but I want to ask opinions on if it's worth it or if there is anything I should be warned of about it?
It's an EVGA z320 classified K mobo with an i7 8700k for $200 USD. Comes with some ThermalRight cooler but I wanted to use my old hyper 212 Evo rgb.
Thanks for reading!

So you probably know now that CPU' are de-lidded to change the thermal paste between the die and the heat spreader. You may not have picked up that it's typically changed to a liquid metal type of paste. Even assuming the delidding was carefully and...
Thanks for reading!

So you probably know now that CPU' are de-lidded to change the thermal paste between the die and the heat spreader. You may not have picked up that it's typically changed to a liquid metal type of paste. Even assuming the delidding was carefully and properly done (a big assumption on it's own) liquid metal compounds have seriously limited life and need replacement periodically.

This sort of thing is done to get better cooling margin to run an extremely high over-clock. It's quite likely they used it until either the paste dried out, so temps are going out of control, or it degraded to the point it can't be overclocked anymore. Or both.

Last edited:
Solution
depends on who did it and how well the delidded the cpu. Ive had my 8700k delidded for 4 years now running at 5.1Ghz, it runs cool enough that i dont even need a AVX offset. I heve yet to re(paste)... liquid metal the die and havent touched anything in the bios since i OC'd it.

If your interested in it have them run some benchmarks with HWmonitor running to see what the temps and voltage is on the cpu.

That hyper 212 Evo was good for midgrade 4 core cpu's, it wont be able to keep up the the 8700k.