[SOLVED] Used craigslist PC too good to be true?

AlergicToTheSun

Prominent
Jan 19, 2020
It's listed for $700 the description reads "Complete gaming PC set up, Logitech G502. Mechanical keyboard. Spectre 1 ms gaming monitor 165hz . Large mouse pad with RGB. Corsair gaming headset. Astro gaming mix amp pro series Sky tech mini PC. 1660ti graphics card MSI. AMD Ryzen 7 1700x, windows 10, ram 16gb Gaming Pc. Condition is Used. " Do you think this deal is authentic? I could provide pictures if necessary

Solution
Used, it's kinda meh, especially because given that it's a prebuilt, they probably cheaped out on crucial parts (PSU, RAM, motherboard). I bet the mouse/keyboard are on the low-end as well. I wouldn't find this particularly compelling for $700, but it's not the worst thing I've seen.

And things like the CPU look like better savings than they are; sure, the 1700x is being sold for over $200 now, but that's because it's a legacy product. There's no real reason to prefer a $210 1700x over a $150 2700.

DSzymborski

Titan
Used, it's kinda meh, especially because given that it's a prebuilt, they probably cheaped out on crucial parts (PSU, RAM, motherboard). I bet the mouse/keyboard are on the low-end as well. I wouldn't find this particularly compelling for $700, but it's not the worst thing I've seen.

And things like the CPU look like better savings than they are; sure, the 1700x is being sold for over $200 now, but that's because it's a legacy product. There's no real reason to prefer a $210 1700x over a $150 2700.

Solution

AlergicToTheSun

Prominent
Jan 19, 2020
It probably is legitimate. The price is good, but that doesn't make it immediately sketchy.

I would go and give it a thorough inspection in person before buying it. Make sure it is in good shape and as advertised
Do you have a guide or advice when buying computers or parts. Or even suggested parts for a budget 1080p computer if so that would be great!

USAFRet

Titan
Do you have a guide or advice when buying computers or parts. Or even suggested parts for a budget 1080p computer if so that would be great!

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
When a deal is really hot on CL, look at the part of town it is in--if it is sketchy or dangerous, it's a carrot to get mugged or robbed. Think safety first.

At the same time, some people just want to dump something quick and do so (I know I've done it), so those can end up being serious scores. Just be careful out there!