News Used GPU Prices Fall Up to 50% in Recent Months as Mining Stops

aac11005

Prominent
Aug 12, 2021
Friends don't let friends buy used mining GPUs.
bonk-cheems-min-ncdc.png

aac11005

Prominent
Aug 12, 2021
I used to buy used gpu's, that were heavily used for F@H. Got a fair amount of use of them, before they died. A mining GPU was most likely better taken care of, than those cards, I bought in the past.

I get what you're saying. One analogy I've heard miners use is "Would you prefer to buy a newer car with a lot of highway miles, or a lot of city driving miles". It is a lot of miles nonetheless, on a newer product, 24/7. The prices for new GPUs are coming down to the point that, for example, if you were saving those $500 for a 3060ti two years ago, now you can get a new, warranty compliant, higher model like a 3070ti that could last a lot longer than a used 3080 that if something were to happen to it, it could probably not be covered under warranty.

I'm probably biased, but after months, and months, and a few more after that of fighting bots, and reading TH write about "Best cards to use for mining", the idea of helping them make another profit is absolutely beyond me.

I used to buy used gpu's, that were heavily used for F@H. Got a fair amount of use of them, before they died. A mining GPU was most likely better taken care of, than those cards, I bought in the past.

You do have to admit, after the last crypto crash, most of the support forums in video cards here were of "used video card" status. There's an increased risk. VRM's and memory burn out. Paste caps dry out. They do have finite life span. And Memory is used especially heavy with Etherium. It's a different situation than when it was bitcoin being mined.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Used mining cards would have to be ridiculously cheap before I would consider one, as it has to be looked at as a losing bet, meaning don't spend money unless you are already writing it off as a total loss.
How much would you be willing to lose buying a 3080 that might die in a couple months with no chance of recouping any money?

Reactions: daworstplaya

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Great news. I hope people avoid those used cards like the plague. It's time for most people to buy reasonably priced new GPUs or wait for the next gen cards to come out later this year. Just remember the AIBs that sold pallet loads of GPUs to miner directly and ignored gamers during the pandemic when there was serious need for GPUs by gamers.

Reactions: straightawaykid

Zescion

Commendable
Oct 25, 2020

I had a single opposite experience. In times when I naively ignored cryptomining even existed, I bought a used R9 280x "previously used in a server". It suffered flickers from day one and I had to significantly down clock the memory to make it usable. Inevitably the issue got worse and I finally replaced it with a new card.

It could be a single bad experience, but now I highly value a new product with OEM warranty, not to mention that many credit cards automatically extend your warranty for new products only.

Plus, look at those eBay listings: 50% less than few months ago, but asking around MSRP for a used card. where's the deal?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Never buy a miner card. You have no idea the environment it was kept it. If it was dirty, hot, run 24/7, overclocked, all factors that would significantly shorten the lifespan