Question Used GPU severly overheating in my pc, runs fine in sellers

Mar 27, 2019
Hey!
Hello there!

I bought a used asus rog strix 1070 the other day (was able to return it, dont have it on me) and it was overheating very badly. If i ran any demanding game or benchmark, it went up to 93-95c with 100% fan speed in 10sec and started throttling. The wierdest part is that when i returned to the seller we tried it again in his pc and it was working perfectly on 73c with like 40% fan speed and even his idle temps were 10c lower than mine, i had 40c with the fans randomly ramping up. So the paste should be fine. Now we have quite simular cases, i have a phanteks p400 and he got an nzxt s340 elite both with 4 simular quality fans so airflow is not the problem. I wanted to switch my xfx rx580 8gb gts xxx card and it runs just as it should, mid 70s while gaming. The amd driver was removed with ddu in safe mode, than i tried 3 differend nvidia drivers to no avail. At this point i had the opportunity to return, so i did.

I already posted on reddit and LTT forum, and the only reply that is worth considering was that even though it only had a little sag i used a lego supporter that i use for my 580 as well to prevent it, while the seller used it without one, and a guy said that the paste could have behaved differently because of that.

What i think i should have done is at least look at the power draw but i did not think of that at the time. :( Though i had no stability issue.

What could have been the problem? My friends dont have a 1070 that i could try, so i dont know if i should try buying an other one while the used market is amazing rn. That asus card would have been a reeeeaaaaly good buy for the price so this is a bummer.

Specs:

Case: Phanteks p400 (with 2x front 140 intake and 2x 120 exhaust on the back and top.)

MOBO: Asrock b450 pro4 (with up to date bios)

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @3.9 with a dual fan hyper 212

RAM: g skill aegis 2*8gb ddr4 3000mhz

PSU: Corsair tx550m 80+ gold

Mar 27, 2019
Honestly? I can only guess...
What about your 12V rail? Is it within 5% margain of error? (You can check it via hwinfo in sensor mode)
That is the +12v under my mobo right? min is 12.091 and max is 12.144

Offtopic, hwinfo sais that the diffeence between the min and max rpm of my case and cpu fans is less than 10, should i worry about that? I set up a fan curve in bios but i never actually heard them ramping up, only the gpu fans.

The voltage seems fine (11.4-12.6).
The confusing thing it is, high temp and 100% fan speed, while seller says otherwise... with proof.
He might be lying? Replaced thermal paste when the card arrived back? Dunno.

While that says 10, that should mean 10 seconds in fan ramp up. It means that if CPU fan is at X speed it will take X seconds to ramp up to desired temperature speed.
Eg. 600rpm , temp rises to 65*C which is 2000rpm and it will take 10 seconds to ramp up the fans.
If the temps are fine I would not worry (generally under 80*C~).

Mar 27, 2019
The voltage seems fine (11.4-12.6).
The confusing thing it is, high temp and 100% fan speed, while seller says otherwise... with proof.
He might be lying? Replaced thermal paste when the card arrived back? Dunno.

While that says 10, that should mean 10 seconds in fan ramp up. It means that if CPU fan is at X speed it will take X seconds to ramp up to desired temperature speed.
Eg. 600rpm , temp rises to 65*C which is 2000rpm and it will take 10 seconds to ramp up the fans.
If the temps are fine I would not worry (generally under 80*C~).
He could not lie. I personally returned the card to him and we tried it on spot so thats why i dont have an idea what was going on. :/