Used GTX 1070 not recognised... Been sold a dud?

Ben-B

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I'm not sure if I've been sold a broken unit, so I'd like like to check if I've missed anything!

I removed my GTX 970, and replaced it with my new (used, from eBay) GTX 1070. The power uses 8 pins instead of the 970's 12 pins, luckily the power leads were there to create an 8-pin. I made sure all the rounded and squared pins all lined up, and I'm confident it has all the power in all the right places.

But when I booted Windows it only recognised one of my two monitors. So I went to display properties, and it wouldn't detect a second screen. It's only detecting a monitor on the HDMI, none of the 3 DP's got recognised when I tried them.

In Device Manager the only display adapter showing is a Windows Basic Display Driver, no new hardware at all.
Anything else I can do to get the 1070 recognised? Or have I been sold a broken one? it should just get automatically recognised and Windows should go right ahead and install the drivers, right?

Is it compatible with my motherboard (Asus z97 Pro gamer)?

Another weird thing, is the 1070 has no stickers on it, no branding at all, the Palit GTX 1070 is relatively boring looking anyway, but without any stickers on the centre of each fan it's literally just a piece of dull grey plastic! Why on earth would someone remove the stickers?

Solution
1) clr_cmos; some motherboards need this when you swap out a gpu
2) boot your pc to safemode
3) run DDU
4) boot your pc to windows
5) install nvidia drivers

if all of the above doesn't work then it might be a bad unit.

Ben-B

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks so much for your answer. I just went through and did the above. I know the CLR_RTC worked, as I got notified to go back in and save settings, It still didn't show. I booted to safe mode, ran DDU, installed the 1070 drivers.

BINGO! Both my screens jump to life, even icons are sitting back were they were over both screens, exactly as they were on the GTX 970!

Thanks a million, without your response I would have been moaning to the seller and he quite rightly would have been annoyed at my complaint!