Question Used HP Elitebook G3 locked me out to keep me safe from me illegally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2022
My used HP Elitebook 840 G3 doesn't boot into a live Linux USB. I gave up on trying to boot into Linux and then it locked me out of my own Windows OS. Attached is a picture of the lock out screen. It logs in, I haven't changed the default HP account with no password and then it proceeds to sign out like it did at first then it put up a cheesy freeze screen stating it's protecting me and my newly acquired, formatted laptop from me the owner. It gives me an option to call "them" and email "them" which I think should literally be illegal.

Aug 29, 2022
My laptop doesn't boot from the USB and the bios software seems like goreware. I at first reset the BIOS to factory settings, UEFI boot: enabled, Legacy boot: unchecked, secure boot: disabled, legacy boot: enabled. I followed the advice of "Change from legacy to UEFI native with out CSM" I think I must do and "disable secure boot w/o UEFI" which I believe I did. When I click esc. then f9 for boot options I get:
"
Legacy - Micron_M600_MTFDDAK1TORBF:
Legacy N/W - Intel Corporation:IBACLSLOT00FEv016
PXE - E61 - Media test failure, check cable
"

I made the slackware disk in Rufus. Why can't I boot into it and what is required of the USB memory stick to be bootable? I am confused and not that smart.

I have tried several options from enabling legacy boot and playing around with the UEFI options. I know there is certainly a single or multiple settings in the BIOS of this computer that will allow for a boot into either fedora or slackware. What are these settings? Legacy support is enabled and secure boot is disabled. I enabled MS UEFI CA key. I have all legacy ROM on, fast boot off, enabled the USB boot, UEFI boot order option is now disabled w/ SATAO: Windows Boot Manager and USB:[EMPTY], respectively and now I enabled Legacy Boot Order w/ USB:[EMPTY], SATA0: Micron_M.... And NETWORK BOOT: Intel Corporations: IBA CL S...., respectively.
I created a bootable USB of Slackware-15-x64 live with ethcher and when I boot now it does not recognize the USB and does not boot into windows. Boot device not found it says.

I don't think the left USB port works TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.