used Intel I7 7700k or new I5 9600k

Nov 10, 2018
Hi guys,
I have a offer for buying i7 7700k with MSI Z270 Gaming M7 (used)
and also have offer for new i5 9600k with New board
The Different is not much, if I get new board and the price for the used 7th gen processor + Board is like more 20/30 Usd to i5, for i5 I might use new board but normal z370 not much heavy , but I think I5 9600k be better ?

Solution
Definitely go for 9th gen. You'll also have options to upgrade to a 9900k in future.

9th gen works on z370 boards but they need a bios update using an 8th gen processor to do so.

z390 works with 9th gen processors out of the box.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Definitely go for 9th gen. You'll also have options to upgrade to a 9900k in future.

9th gen works on z370 boards but they need a bios update using an 8th gen processor to do so.

z390 works with 9th gen processors out of the box.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No. Not that easy. Might need to take it to a pc store and have them flash it. They should have workshop 8th gen cpus hopefully.

What motherboard model is it?

Some Intel boards have the ability to flash bios without a cpu so with any luck it might. Have a look through its manual online on updating bios.

Nov 10, 2018
cool that info helps, Z370 MSI GAMING PLUS, Its new I got from my friend

A friend needed i7 was saying me about streaming and gaming, which why i'm thinking I should go with the i5 9600k for him too ?
unless he want to save cash its like 100 Usd saved for the board.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hyperthreading would help 7700k with streaming but won't be as good as 9600k though + 7th gen is a dead platform, no more possible upgrades. Atleast with z370 or z390 you have opportunities.

I recommend going z390 board. Ill have a look at the manual for this z370 board albeit think imho would be too much hassle to save little even if you could update bios.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-GAMING-PLUS#down-manual

Can't be done without cpu. Only option is to use mflash and mflash needs a display which you wont get without a working cpu.
M-FLASH
M-FLASH provides the way to update BIOS with a USB flash drive. Please down-load
the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI website, save the
BIOS file into your USB flash drive. And then follow the steps below to update BIOS.
Insert the USB flash drive that contains the update file into the computer.
Click on
M-FLASH
tab, a demand message will be prompted. Click on
Yes
to
reboot and enter the flash mode

Nov 10, 2018
let me check, I destroy my pc z97 when was doing bio update with USB, it don't start afterward everything went ok when did update. I did before bio updates to other board never had issue but z97 pc mate gone.

Nov 10, 2018
to bio update from shop will cost me more, what I think is for now let me keep the z370 board and look for used 8th gen maybe I don't see much different bw 8600k and 9600k.
for now I do have i3 pc at home to use