Used internal 3TB drive in external enclosure, lost a partition and 2TB space

AY

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
I have tried partition master, and everything else I can think of. The problem here is that the 3TB drive is now appearing as a 1TB drive. Even in disk management. For all intents and purposes, this is suddenly a 1TB drive.

Before I used the hard drive enclosure, this was a 3TB drive. I lost a partition, and nothing of that partition appears to remain. The disk0 is now limited to 1TB in size.

I'm not hopeful that chkdsk or anything else will be able to help because, again, only 1TB of hypothetical space is appearing.

I vaguely recall this happening in the past, and that it was the result of MFT corruption, and that I was eventually able to repair it, but that was years ago.

Can anyone help me?

Solution
Hey there, AY.

So that space is not shown at all in Disk Management? Not even as unallocated space? Would you please be so kind as to post a screenshot of what you see there?

Basically if you have no need for your data, you could give it a go with low level format, to see if that helps your drive to restore its normal capacity.
1. Open CMD as admin
2. Type diskpart and press "enter"
3. Type list disk and press "enter"
4. Type select disk X and press "enter", where "x" is the number of the disk you wish to low level format so make sure that you've selected the proper one, because if you delete the data from another drive - there's no getting it back. You should get a message similar to "Disk X is now the selected...
Hey there, AY.

So that space is not shown at all in Disk Management? Not even as unallocated space? Would you please be so kind as to post a screenshot of what you see there?

Basically if you have no need for your data, you could give it a go with low level format, to see if that helps your drive to restore its normal capacity.
1. Open CMD as admin
2. Type diskpart and press "enter"
3. Type list disk and press "enter"
4. Type select disk X and press "enter", where "x" is the number of the disk you wish to low level format so make sure that you've selected the proper one, because if you delete the data from another drive - there's no getting it back. You should get a message similar to "Disk X is now the selected disk"
5. Type clean and press "enter". Once the process has been completed, you should get a message like "Diskpart succeeded in cleaning the disk". You could also try "clean all" instead of "clean" if you don't have any luck the first time, but note that it would take a few hours for the process to complete. Just wait for the message that it's done and don't stop it midway even if seems like it's not doing anything.

After that you should initialize the drive as if it was a brand new internal HDD, before you're able to partition and format it. Here's how to do those things:
How to initialize or write a signature to a secondary hard drive or Solid State drive in Windows
How to partition and format a drive on Windows and Mac OSX.

Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS