[SOLVED] Used laptop to study for the MCAT

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
Hi, I'm selling my gaming rig(i5 8400 with gtx 1070 ti) as my MCAT is approaching. I have 0 experience with laptops so I want your advise for a budget laptop that will launch quickly and will be handy for studying. Thanks in advance. As for the budget I can pay up to 600$ for a used laptop but the lower the better because I will sell it after finishing with the MCAT. Thanks in advance

Solution
Thanks but I want more info like what screen size is good for studying, is 4 gb ram enough or I should aim for 8gb. Is i3 8th gen good enough or I should aim for i5 6th gen+ or even i7? Regards

8GB RAM, i5 any gen 6 or above, and a 1920x1080p are the most ideal you can hope for at that price range and will give you a pleasant experience. Though you can definitely get away with an i3, 4GB, 1366x768 for PURELY STUDYING. Though it may feel sluggish on occasion. But you will definitely find something within your budget.
Honestly as long as the laptop has an SSD as the OS drive and a CPU that's not more than 3-4 years old then it should feel snappy on boot and runtime. Perfect for basic usage like studying and web browsing.

Or you could get a chrome book. They run smoothly but lack many features you'd expect on a windows machine. But if you're just browsing the web, note taking, etc then it won't matter much,

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
Honestly as long as the laptop has an SSD as the OS drive and a CPU that's not more than 3-4 years old then it should feel snappy on boot and runtime. Perfect for basic usage like studying and web browsing.

Or you could get a chrome book. They run smoothly but lack many features you'd expect on a windows machine. But if you're just browsing the web, note taking, etc then it won't matter much,
Thanks but I want more info like what screen size is good for studying, is 4 gb ram enough or I should aim for 8gb. Is i3 8th gen good enough or I should aim for i5 6th gen+ or even i7? Regards

8GB RAM, i5 any gen 6 or above, and a 1920x1080p are the most ideal you can hope for at that price range and will give you a pleasant experience. Though you can definitely get away with an i3, 4GB, 1366x768 for PURELY STUDYING. Though it may feel sluggish on occasion. But you will definitely find something within your budget.

Reactions: mhmd shoumar
Solution