Used Lenovo Xeon workstation vs. new I7 Dell XPS

Psychichfashion

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
I am considering purchasing a new Dell XPS I7 skylake quad core desktop vs. a used Lenovo S30 workstation with Xeon E5-2670 8 core/ Nvdia GeForce GTX 660 graphics- both about the same price. The Xeon supports much more ram (maxes at about 250 gb- I was going to get 64 gb) and has a 512 SSD, but the skylake has 4 cores and comes with 16 gb (maxes at 32 gb ram) and a 2 tb hard drive. On the other hand, the skylake has a much better ghz at 4 ghz to the Xeon’s 2.6 ghz. And the skylake is in a new Dell XPS computer which comes with a warranty and tech support. The Dell XPS has NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 730 graphics card, or for more money, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745. I plan to use the touch function, so I will purchase a touch monitor.
I don't really understand how to compare them. I want to stream video, have a few open MS office and other documents, have LOTS of webpages open at once (possibly hundreds); and NEVER have to wait for my machine again in the next decade. I want to do whatever I want and not think about resources at all. I don't game or do rendering or video editing at this time; I would like to maintain maximum flexibility to do whatever I might want to.
Somehow with the machines I use, they seem to get clogged with conflicts, runaways and lots of freezing, I don't really do too much to invite that besides the aforementioned web habit, but I am not enough of an expert to figure out why. Possibly Windows stupidity that I can’t figure out how to resolve. Yes, I will be using Windows 10 unless I cave later and go Linux. I do have and use Clamwin and Malwarebytes, and I’ve never had a problem with infection. I am not a tech genius or enthusiast, but still enough of a geek to try to figure some things out, if unsuccessfully at times.
I guess I was leaning towards the Lenovo-Xeon E5-2670 but the ghz and other benchmarking differences with skylake worries me. The fact that the Lenovo S30 has just been discontinued worries me too, because they might stop making drivers for it so it can’t be upgraded sooner than I might like, or other unknown factors, and the specs are already slightly outdated compared with its replacement the Lenovo P series. I would be really sad if either were outdated in 5 years, and I’d prefer to have as long as possible.
Or, maybe you’d suggest something else. : )
I appreciate any advice you might have.

iXeon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015
for high demand workloads it's clearly Xeon because it's been design to have more real-time processing then any other CPU in intel products let me give you an example of technologies you going to need for high workloads that you would not found in i7 or others:

ECC RAM : is the most important option when it comes to multi-threading and high workloads where the system should not make mistakes!this option only found in Xeon CPUs

Vpro:intel xeon cpus support Vpro technologies including:

1-Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology: (Intel® HT Technology) uses processor resources more efficiently, enabling multiple threads to run on each core. As a performance feature, it also increases processor throughput, improving overall performance on threaded software.

2-Intel® Virtualization Technology :Increasing manageability, security, and flexibility in IT environments, virtualization technologies like hardware-assisted Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT) combined with software-based virtualization solutions provide maximum system utilization by consolidating multiple environments into a single server or PC. By abstracting the software away from the underlying hardware, a world of new usage models opens up that reduce costs, increase management efficiency, strengthen security, while making your computing infrastructure more resilient in the event of a disaster.

3-Trusted Execution Technology : provide Attestation of the authenticity of a platform and its operating system

4-Intel® Active Management Technology:Using integrated platform capabilities and popular third-party management and security applications, Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT) allows IT or managed service providers to better discover, repair, and protect their networked computing assets. Intel AMT enables IT or managed service providers to manage and repair not only their PC assets, but workstations and entry servers as well, utilizing the same infrastructure and tools across platforms for management consistency. For embedded developers, this means that devices can be diagnosed and repaired remotely, ultimately lowering IT support costs. Intel AMT is a feature of Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® vPro™ technology1 2 and workstation platforms based on select Intel® Xeon® processors.

---------------
and other Advantages are:
More Cache:Xeon CPUs support more cache then any other processor
better Multi-Threading:intel xeon processors are designed for better Multi-Threading then others
More RAM support:xeon processors can support more ram (at some models 768 GB) that no cpu can take
2 CPU configuration:intel xeon is the only intel processor that can handle dual CPU configuration!

Chayan4400

Honorable

OP stated he isn't insterested in gaming alone. besides, you put a GTX 745 over a 660? The 660 is more powerful than the 750 Ti, let alone the 745.

To the OP: How much are you spending on these machines? Both are unbalanced setups that won't do well in one field or another (Both have overkill processors and comparatively underpowered GPU - especially the XPS; Both are sure to be pricey but yet don't have SSDs, though they go overkill on the RAM). OEM setups are rarely decently built PCs with maximum value for money. I'd reccommend custom building a PC (It isn't as hard as it sounds!) or at least turning to a custom PC builder. That way you'll get an up to date PC that'll fit your needs much better than any pre-built OEM.

Chayan4400

Honorable

Most of the benefits of vPro CPUs are aimed toward businessses to allow remote access to the PC for management and security tasks, when an OS is down or PC power is off. It requires additional infrastructure and is of little to no use for the average user. Even then, there are select i5s' and i7s' that support vPro if needed.

ECC RAM is not as important as you put it; it's mostly used in computers where data corruption cannot be tolerated under any circumstances, such as for scientific or financial computing. That isn't to say that non-ECC RAM is a liability in even a high workload situation such as a DAW or Editing workstation; 90% of the world's business and consumer computers run on it, with absolutely no problems. ECC is used in servers and data centers that support hundreds of users and store critical data; for a stand alone PC it is a needless additional expense. First, the average user will be frequently saving data to their hard drive, so the likelihood of catastrophic memory failure should be small and therefore ECC memory would be overkill. ECC only helps out when you have large amounts of RAM (256 and even 512GB of RAM is common in servers) with huge amounts of data stored in the memory at any given time. For a user with 16GB of RAM, the likelihood of ever seeing a difference with ECC memory is extremely low.

Hyperthreading and Virtualization Technology have been supported by intel's i-series for quite some time now, with the latter being supported from value-oreiented i3s' to top of the line i7s'. i3s' are dual-cores with hyperthreading, i5s' are quad-cores without hyperthreading and i7s' are quad-cores with hyperthreading.

Active Management Technology requires additional infrastructure and knowledge of how to use it to use it effectively, which makes it useless for the OP.

Trusted Execution Technology is much more than just a CPU feature, it has to be integrated into the chipset and BIOS as well. This again is aimed at the cooperate world as it primarily deals with security and again requires more knowledge and additional infrastructure to use, witrh little to no benefits for the average use.

"Better multithreading"? The Xeons have in some cases more threads and / or more cores, but once you get to the ~6 core line even if video editing you won't see enough of a difference between a 6 core, 12 thread, 15M cache i7 5820K and an 8 core, 16 thread, 20M cache E5-2650 to justify the monumental addional $775. THe addtional cores only help under server loads with many users at the same time, or in similar circumstances. It would be extremely hard to achieve similar loads with normal, non-server tasks. More cahce and more cores / threads doesn't automatically mean better noticeable performance after a certain point.

Any video-editing rig (Which requires large amounts of RAM) will be more than happpy with 64GB of RAM. Even 32GB is overkill for most situations. Again, anything above 64GB of RAM only helps out when you are building a server. Same thing about having 2 CPUs. Basically, to really use most of the features you describe, you'd be looking at spending easily $5,000 for the PC alone, not counting the extra infrastructure and training needed for many of the features. Stop copy-pasting features from Intel's products pages and learn about them before you reccommend them to someone else.

iXeon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015

so what would you recommend depending of what Psychichfashion said ? i know what some of those futures are not going to be used by him but he said that all he want is more concurrency (more processes at the same time) so Xeon is the obvious candidate.and i7 or others only support some of the Vpro technologies not all of it!

Chayan4400

Honorable
so what would you recommend depending of what Psychichfashion said ? i know what some of those futures are not going to be used by him but he said that all he want is more concurrency (more processes at the same time) so Xeon is the obvious candidate.and i7 or others only support some of the Vpro technologies not all of it!

What I reccommend depends on how much the OP is willing to spend. Concurrency is all vey well but performance that would support tens if not hundreds of users isn't needed. Xeons are server processors and are marketed as such; certain ones are suitable for desktop use but on the whole it's pointless spending so much on a single PC. The OP's want to have a PC that'll perform well for 10 years is unfeasible; in 2005, the best CPU available was the Pentium Extreme Edition 840, which would have set you back by $1,100. It'll struggle to cope with running windows 10 today.

He'll actually lose out if he spends so much at once on a single build than if he upgrade certain components in his PC periodicaly every 2-3 years and spends about the same at the in the end. This is because the price to perfromance ratio of PC parts continues to increase, so upgrading in incremements will give you better perfroming, more efficient, modern hardware than an obselete dinosaur of a PC that cost a pretty penny 10 years ago.

Psychicfashion,

As you mention only workstation use, my inclination is towards a workstation as they are designed with wider memory bandwidth, can use ECC error-correcting memory, server-like reliability, and to be very quiet. If you are doing anything with huge datasets, business analytics, scientific, simulations, or visualization, a Xeon-base workstation is going to have the appropriate features and performance parameters- lots of memory and solid, RAID -capable disk systems.

While LGA2011 is the way to go, E5-2670 doesn't seem the best choice unless you're rendering, video editing, Matlab, or some other application that can be fully multi-threaded. As the core count is higher, the clock speed is lower, and Xeons made for dual processor systems (E5-2600 series) have a slight penalty in speed. For this system an E5-1600 is more in order and in my view, the E5-1650 6-core has the best cost to performance of any Xeon ever made.

How about:

Dell Precision T3600 Xeon E5-1650 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Nvidia NVS 300 X2 635W PSU > $499 or best offer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T3600-Xeon-E5-1650-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Nvidia-NVS-300-X2-635W-PSU-/351608034823?hash=item51dd78d607:g:EQgAAOSwk1JWdI6D

-includes a small dent at no extra charge!

OR:

HP Z420 XEON SIX CORE E5-1650 3.20GHZ 16GB 160GB SSD (2x NVS300) - Win7 Pro COA > Sold for $499 (1.16)

The E5-1650 is 6-core @ 3.2 /3.8GHz supporting 256GB of ECC 1600 RAM and the v2 is 3.5 / 3.9GHz meaning that this is very good for about any kind of use, including 3D modeling /animation and there are enough cores /threads for reasonable rendering speed.

In your list of uses, I don't see the need for any very high-powered graphics card. Both the systems listed have 2X Quadro NVS 300, which are excellent in 2D- hopeless in 3D, so if there is no gaming or 3D CAD they could be perfect. If you having any 3D though, I would suggest a workstation card with a row of DisplayPorts. Buy a used Firepro W5000 with 4X DisplayPort and then 4X 21" monitors. Run 8 side by side iterations of your browser on the 4 monitors and you can have quick access to "LOTS of webpages open at once (possibly hundreds)". Actually a W5000 is an excellent performer in 2D and 3D, similar to Radeon HD 7790 and would be fine at 3D visualization work, graphic design and so on.

Add some RAM, good SSD, and sufficient storage space to this kind of system and it should have very good performance and be flexible for future uses. I'm not sure about a decade- Web browsers might be holographic.and Windows 16 need 2TB of DDR7-4500 RAM.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

1. HP z420 (2015) > Xeon E5-1660 v2 (6-core @ 3.7 / 4.0GHz) > 32GB DDR3 1866 ECC RAM > Quadro K4200 (4GB) > Intel 730 480GB (9SSDSC2BP480G4R5) > Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX 1TB> M-Audio 192 sound card > 600W PSU> > Windows 7 Professional 64-bit > Logitech z2300 speakers > 2X Dell Ultrasharp U2715H (2560 X 1440)>
[ Passmark Rating = 5064 > CPU= 13989 / 2D= 819 / 3D= 4596 / Mem= 2772 / Disk= 4555] [Cinebench R15 > CPU = 1014 OpenGL= 126.59 FPS] 7.8.15

2. Dell Precision T5500 (2011) > 2X Xeon X5680 (6 -core @ 3.33 / 3.6GHz), 48GB DDR3 1333 ECC Reg. > Quadro K2200 (4GB ) > PERC H310 / Samsung 840 250GB / WD RE4 Enterprise 1TB > M-Audio 192 sound card > 875W PSU > Windows 7 Professional 64> HP 2711x (27", 1920 X 1080)
[ Passmark system rating = 3844 / CPU = 15047 / 2D= 662 / 3D= 3500 / Mem= 1785 / Disk= 2649] (12.30.15)

Psychichfashion

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016

My dilemma is that I don't have the skill to build one myself, but would still like to get something special. It would be great to pay someone to do it, but I don't think I can hit my price- around $1000- and get anything near what I wanted. I live in Cambridge, Mass. near MIT and a Microcenter, so some resources are around.

Online, I found the used Lenovo S30 which I can customize from limited options. I designed the S30 with the Xeon e5-2670, 64 gb ram, 512 gb SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX-660, DVD, Win 7. This would cost about $1000, which seemed a great deal and was wildly less than I could find anything close to this level of specs. I was thinking of adding another hard drive myself, and buying a touch monitor.

The used S30 has other options I can choose (for different costs) : Xeon E5-2660, 2680; less memory than 64 gb, hard drives of various sizes, Nvidia Quadro 2000 and 4000. Did you think that I should make different choices about the specs given these options- if so which ones? Do you think this S30 is worth it given the price, even if the specs are not ideal? What would be ideal?

It sounded like you thought the Xeon E5-2670 was too expensive, but would function well for this build? It was reported to be slower in some benchmarking and ghz, but I don't fully understand the technical aspects. Given the price for the package, is this a good setup or are you saying that the Xeon E5-2670 would function worse than an I7 processor for me?

You specifically said that that the used Lenovo S30 was an imbalanced build because the GPUs are underpowered. Did you recommend the Quadro 4000 available with it? Or something else? They might let me get it without a card and install one.Bambiboom in this thread recommended a a used Firepro W5000- do you concur? The Lenovo S30 specs say "Supports up to NVIDIA® Quadro® 5000." I'm not sure about compatibility.

The Dell XPS looks shiny and new, but seems like about 1/4 the computer for the same price. It does have a warranty and the skylake. It maxes at 32 gb ram, which doesn't give it too much longevity- 5 years? And only a 32 gb hybrid SSD available for the $1250 option.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8900-desktop/pd?ref=PD_Family

I hear what you are saying about upgrading rather than getting something set in stone, and the unlikelihood of the 10 years. I was shooting for a higher end workstation to get upgradability, more internal space, better cooling, power etc. Do you think the custom Lenovo S30 would be upgradable to 10 years? Specs are here for standard models: https://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/pdf/system_data/s30_tech_specs.pdf
I'm hoping to get something that I will not have to upgrade or tinker with for about 5 years. (Unless something irresistible comes around, of course).
The XPS seems like- not so much upgradable.

I'm open to looking at other machines, I just haven't found anything close to the customizable used Lenovo S30 in terms of value for money, and with the options close to what I wanted. I am reluctant to buy a used machine that is not Lenovo, based on my previous experiences.

I appreciate your considering this, Chayan4400.

Psychichfashion

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016

In order to avoid redundancy, could I refer you to the post I just made in reply to Chayan4400 in this thread? There I discuss in detail what I am getting with the customized Lenovo S30 and the price, and a link to the S30 specs and longevity.
I would ask you the same questions.

In your post, it sounds like you are saying that the Xeon E5-1650 CPU would be faster and better given my utilization than the E5-2670. Is that right? Does the package cost of the system I am getting change your opinion at all? ($1000 for S30 with Xeon e5-2670, 64 gb ram, 512 gb SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX-660, DVD, Win 7) In other words, I am not paying market price for the part, but getting a package as such. Same with the video card- I had the option of a Quadro 2000 or 4000 (the 4000 is $70 more than the GTX-660). Did you feel that the used Firepro W5000 would be superior to the GeForce GTX-660 or the Quadro 4000, or just a better value for money as a separate part? Would that still be important in relation to the used S30 package price and value?

It is possible I could buy it without a part and install my own, if there is a better part out there that would be cost effective.
I am not skilled enough to build my own entirely, just knowledgeable enough to wish I could!

I am reluctant to buy any used machine that is not a Lenovo, although I very much appreciate your recommendations from ebay. I would like to get something that is relatively close to what I want from the start, although I could tinker a little. I may have thus painted myself into a corner.

What you said about 4 monitors is interesting, although I am not sure you should be encouraging me : ). The GTX 660 comes with 4 output ports, so I could do the same thing with that. I have a spare 42” tv that someone gave me that I am tempted to set up as a monitor, if the emf isn’t so strong I can’t stand to sit in front of it. If you never hear from me again, I fell in and couldn’t get out.

Thank you for your perspective and help, Bambiboom.

"In order to avoid redundancy, could I refer you to the post I just made in reply to Chayan4400 in this thread? There I discuss in detail what I am getting with the customized Lenovo S30 and the price, and a link to the S30 specs and longevity.
I would ask you the same questions.

In your post, it sounds like you are saying that the Xeon E5-1650 CPU would be faster and better given my utilization than the E5-2670. Is that right? Does the package cost of the system I am getting change your opinion at all? ($1000 for S30 with Xeon e5-2670, 64 gb ram, 512 gb SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX-660, DVD, Win 7) In other words, I am not paying market price for the part, but getting a package as such. Same with the video card- I had the option of a Quadro 2000 or 4000 (the 4000 is $70 more than the GTX-660). Did you feel that the used Firepro W5000 would be superior to the GeForce GTX-660 or the Quadro 4000, or just a better value for money as a separate part? Would that still be important in relation to the used S30 package price and value?

It is possible I could buy it without a part and install my own, if there is a better part out there that would be cost effective.
I am not skilled enough to build my own entirely, just knowledgeable enough to wish I could!

I am reluctant to buy any used machine that is not a Lenovo, although I very much appreciate your recommendations from ebay. I would like to get something that is relatively close to what I want from the start, although I could tinker a little. I may have thus painted myself into a corner.

What you said about 4 monitors is interesting, although I am not sure you should be encouraging me : ). The GTX 660 comes with 4 output ports, so I could do the same thing with that. I have a spare 42” tv that someone gave me that I am tempted to set up as a monitor, if the emf isn’t so strong I can’t stand to sit in front of it. If you never hear from me again, I fell in and couldn’t get out.

Thank you for your perspective and help, Bambiboom.

Psychichfashion,

Overall, the Lenovo S30 does seem to have a very good cost /performance and workstations are designed for reliability. They are also designed for expandability and do have greater RAM capacity and can accommodate precision components such as ECC zero-fault, error-correcting memory and solid RAID controllers fro extended drives in performance and data protection configurations. I've been looking at baselines for the S30 on Passmark (68 tested) and the results are not outstanding, but highly competent. The top four rated systems by the way use Xeon E5-1650 v2 and nos. 5 through 8 use E5-1650. The great majority of S30's are using Quadro or Firepro workstation graphics cards. There are no S30 systems using an E5-2670 or any 8-core.

The top rated Lenovo S30:

Rating = 4803
CPU= 12988 (Xeon E5-1650 v2)
2D = 823 (Radeon R9 290X / 390X)
3D = 7480
Mem = 2679 (24GB)
Disk = 3110 (Toshiba THSNJ12)

For comparison, of the 5986 "Dell XPS" systems, there are 132 systems using Skylake i7's, The top rated system:

Rating = 6244
CPU= 10758
2D = 1023 (Radeon R9 290 / 390)
3D = 7782
Mem = 2943 (16GB)
Disk = 40904 (Samsung 850 EVO 1TB) (Probably a quad RAID 0?)

These results are quoted to try to understand the limits of the performance.

An XPS i7-6700 with a GeForce GT 730:

Rating = 3687
CPU= 10540
2D = 780
3D = 811
Mem = 3018 (32GB)
Disk = 16305 (Samsung 950 NVMe)

The rating drops in this example mainly because of the (statistical) weighting of 3D performance, but notice that the other scores are still very good - and the really amazing disk score of the Samsung 950 M.2 drive.

So, in some parameters, these systems can have comparable performance, but with exceptions- the S30 can use CPU's with more than 4 cores, but the XPS can plug in M.2 SSD's such as the Samsung PM851 and Samsung 950 NVMe, of which a single drive may score 9287.

So there is a bit of a quandry in your choice. My tendency is oriented towards workstations, but I haven't read anything in your description in the use- rendering or Matlab for example, that uses all 16 cores of a fully threaded application. You mention having 64GB of RAM, but again I haven't read of a use that demands it. I do quite heavy visualization work in 3D CAD with rendering and often run 5 large applications simultaneously and have never seen the memory usage above 18GB of the 32 in the system. The Dell / Skylake:

1. is the newest CPU/ chipset technology,
2. you will not be taking advantage of an 8-core / 16 thread system,
3. nor do I see the need for more than 32GB of RAM, and
4. the XPS has a warranty,
5. has a higher clock speed, plus
6. the forward-looking , almost astounding M.2 SSD capability,
7. I think can be satisfactory in the uses you've indicated and
8. is far, far more likely not to cause sadness "if [it] were outdated in 5-years".

In summary- and with some reluctance, I'd have to say the Dell XPS is the better choice.

GPU: However, I would suggest replacing the GT 730 as soon as possible as it will not push enough pixels on a very large monitor at a resolution suitable for reading many pages that will necessarily be quite small scaled to fit the number. The Firepro W5000 was mentioned in response to what you expressed as running possibly hundreds of browser pages at once. I have an elderly Dell running a 32" television and while I occasionally do some writing, I think multiple dedicated monitors will far more satisfying if you intend to display many pages simultaneously. Besides multiple equivalent outputs though, you might consider a card with more memory- 4GB as well.

An interesting discussion!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Psychichfashion

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016

I found the performance of the Xeon E5-2670 reported to be lower than the I7 Skylake on Passmark. When I mentioned that difference to the seller, he said that the extra cores were not reflected in the CPU performance, so it wasn't valid to compare with the I7. Also, something about the different computers tested having different specs and that having an impact on the tests that make them less valid; and that the tests are more for gaming than other uses. I can't evaluate these statements technically, but I do think he is honest and believes what he told me.

For some reason, when I tried to find the performances of different models that you reference, I can't find them on the Passmark website. Can you tell me how to find them? I would look up the top models, and try to see which ones were affordable, which seems a sensible way to go. I did find the "20 top computer systems," but they don't mention any brands or models, just components, and the top 20 systems' CPUs were all I7 5th and 6th generation.

I think the E5-1650 sounds great- the first version is going for about $150-200 used on ebay, but it's not available preloaded on the S30 I was looking at. I wonder if they would sell it to me without a processor and deduct enough to make it worth my adding it to the system? It was interesting that there were no S30's with the E5-2670 whose results were tested; I guess that would be too easy.

About the XPS, in order to scale it up, the price would go up by about $300 for the Samsung 950 NVMe 512gb and whatever it would take to buy 16 gb more RAM; or up by another thousand to get the preconfigured top of the line Special Edition XPS 32 gb memory and a double hard drive 2 tb/ 256 gb M.2 (Dell-branded) SSD. That's a lot ! http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8900-se/pd

Since you recommended the XPS reluctantly, maybe I should ask you another way. I picked that, I admit, without too much thought, because it was Consumer Report's top desktop and should make a good foil.

If you had $1000 and my needs, what would you do? You're so knowledgeable, I would benefit from your opinion, freed from restricting it to the 2 relatively arbitrary choices I started with. (I am in Windows at this point, though- can't free myself from that just yet.)

You're a scholar and a gentleman, Bambiboom. It is a pleasure reading your posts.

I found the performance of the Xeon E5-2670 reported to be lower than the I7 Skylake on Passmark. When I mentioned that difference to the seller, he said that the extra cores were not reflected in the CPU performance, so it wasn't valid to compare with the I7. Also, something about the different computers tested having different specs and that having an impact on the tests that make them less valid; and that the tests are more for gaming than other uses. I can't evaluate these statements technically, but I do think he is honest and believes what he told me.

For some reason, when I tried to find the performances of different models that you reference, I can't find them on the Passmark website. Can you tell me how to find them? I would look up the top models, and try to see which ones were affordable, which seems a sensible way to go. I did find the "20 top computer systems," but they don't mention any brands or models, just components, and the top 20 systems' CPUs were all I7 5th and 6th generation.

I think the E5-1650 sounds great- the first version is going for about $150-200 used on ebay, but it's not available preloaded on the S30 I was looking at. I wonder if they would sell it to me without a processor and deduct enough to make it worth my adding it to the system? It was interesting that there were no S30's with the E5-2670 whose results were tested; I guess that would be too easy.

About the XPS, in order to scale it up, the price would go up by about $300 for the Samsung 950 NVMe 512gb and whatever it would take to buy 16 gb more RAM; or up by another thousand to get the preconfigured top of the line Special Edition XPS 32 gb memory and a double hard drive 2 tb/ 256 gb M.2 (Dell-branded) SSD. That's a lot ! http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8900-se/pd

Since you recommended the XPS reluctantly, maybe I should ask you another way. I picked that, I admit, without too much thought, because it was Consumer Report's top desktop and should make a good foil.

If you had $1000 and my needs, what would you do? You're so knowledgeable, I would benefit from your opinion, freed from restricting it to the 2 relatively arbitrary choices I started with. (I am in Windows at this point, though- can't free myself from that just yet.)

You're a scholar and a gentleman, Bambiboom. It is a pleasure reading your posts.[/quotemsg]

Psychichfashion,

Optional: This thread has been remarkable in the range of analysis and opinion. Comparing a workstation and consumer system does turn out to be more difficult as they have different emphases in performance that is reflected in the hardware. As workstation performance is generally more costly than consumer / gaming for example the top gaming card is the GTX 980 Ti for about $700-900 while in the workstation world, it's the Quadro M6000 for $5,000. As your use doesn't seem to need the special features of a workstation, the consumer system seem better from a cost /performance view.

However, workstations are also in general more robust and reliable, the CPU's (Xeon) being binned- selected- for quality and very slightly detuned for lower stress so they can run as nearly as possible all the time and forever. The understressing is true of the GPU's also- notice that a Quadro M6000 has one small fan where a high end GTX often has three large ones.

The S30 seller is correct that system benchmark tests are weighted in certain ways. With Passmark, I sometimes do what I call "jump tests". If you put baseline results in descending order of a certain test parameter: Rating, CPU, 3D, Disk, etc. and then switch the ranking parameter the system will jump in the list. And, I've noticed that as compared to the Rating, the position in the list jumps the least when selecting the CPU, then 3D, then disk. I think Passmark is trying to weight the experiential quality of the system: if the CPU is fast, it has good 3D performance, and a responsive disk, it will be experienced overall as a fast system. The 3D test though is orietned towards gaming performance as the quantification is in image quantiity- frames per second- whereas Quadros and Firepros are image quality oriented and fully finish rendering every frame- slower.

The severe jumps in price when adding options on a new system still often surprises me. It's done in cars too. I was at a Lamborghini dealer- as a casual tourist- and the dealer showed me a Murcielago. The optional carbon fibre engine cover and console cover option cost $11,000- well, it saves 20kg.. If you buy a new Dell of HP workstation with a pair of fast 8-cores, SSD, and high end Quadro, it's going to inch- or rather leap ahead- towards $20,000.

To the Point:

Passmark Searches: When you do a detailed search in Passmark, look for the "Advanced Search" tab and you can enter specific filters for Make /model, CPU, motherboard, and GPU. A search can be made by CPU or graphics card only to compare which motherboard produce the highest scores for that CPU and so on. Then click on the "Sore by" button and select what parameter is interesting. I start with the overall systems Rating, then usually CPU then 3D, then Disk.

What I would do with $1,000: If I were spending $1,000 for a system for your uses, I would look for a Dell Precision T3600 with a Xeon E5-1650 or, better, a E5-1650 v2, 16GB of RAM, and a 1TB hard drive. Examples:

Dell Precision T3600 Xeon E5-1650 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Nvidia NVS 300 X2 635W PSU > $499 or best offer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T3600-Xeon-E5-16...

OR:

HP Z420 XEON SIX CORE E5-1650v2 3.50GHZ 16GB 256GB SSD (2x NVS315) -Win7 Pro COA > Sold for $650 (1.16)

That HP is particualtly good bargain as it is ready to use already as is, plus has the e5-1650 v2 which is 3.5 /3.9Ghz instead of 3.2 /3.8GHz. The two Quadro NVS are very good in 2D and would run multiple monitors. But, about any of these systems will need a change of graphics card. If you're going to use a TV as monitor, there are many cards with HDMI ports or you find a card like the Firepro W5000 - I've seen these solf used in the $120 range somtimes and that will have the four DisplayPorts and you can use an Displayport to HDMI adapter. If you have the W5000 you will have a really good 3D capability.

If you find a really good bargain on a system without an SSD, a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB is only $85 now and they have excellent performance.

With patience I think a very good performing and very reliable system is quite possible. To put the Lenovo into perspective with the other suggestions, consider that on Passmark, there are 224 Precision T3600 tested (Top rating 4611), 270 HP z420's (Top rating 5064 [mine]), and 68 Lenovo S30 (Top rating 4803). In some ways I think Dell is a bit better constructed than the HP and Dell support is easier to navigate-(I use it fairly often because I'm upgrading older generation systems, not for problems), but the two HP z420's have never needed attention of any kind and are quieter than the Precisions- though to be fair the Precisions I have are a generation back.

Monitors: Having tried a number of monitor configuration I would encourage that you consider moving towards a multiple monitor desktop arrangement. Once I had dual monitors I never looked back. FOR example in writing this post, the ability to have the Passmark test results full screen and Word Perfect behind on one monitor and Tom's with six tabs running on the other is wonderfully easy and fast to use.

Thank you for the generous words.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

My personal motto; "Never use just one word when twenty will do just as well."

Chayan4400

Honorable
I think we're all missing the point here. Bambiboon's recommendations are spot on; except that they are for serious workstation builds. I believe the OP on the other hand is looking for a PC for mixed use: some video editing here, a bit of productivity there and gaming every now and again. I don't believe that, even though he's looking at longevity, ECC RAM, RAID configs and Xeons are going to give him any added benefit over a good custom built PC (Yes, he doesn't want to buid it himself but I'll explain in a bit). Yes, if you are looking at serious 3D modeling, video editing or data crunching, then Quadros and other enterprise or specialist grade hardware can immensely increase performance. For an all round PC however, they'll either have little benefit or actually hinder some tasks (Quadro + gaming). Longevity is the other point. Simply put, for a $1000 PC 10 years is a no-no. You'll be looking at 5 years if you're lucky. Even then, you probably will have to upgarde the GPU to keep up if you are picky on settings in games. Why?

I'll take the example I took before; the $1100 Pentium Extreme Edition 840. Released in 2005, almost exactly 10 years ago. Now, it'll struggle with Windows 10, if you can even find a way to get past the sure compatibility problems. IDE HDDs are obselete, and should one fail then you'll be very hard-pressed to find a replacement. Even an SSD won't help as the SATA ports are SATA II. DDR2 RAM is obselete, and will seriously hinder the PC due to it's slow speeds and low capacity. And any GPU available at the time will have no drivers for Windows 10.

Fast-forward to 2010. The i7 980X is the new king. It uses DDR3, which is still readily available and causes no bottlenecks with current software. SATA III is used for HDDs, with IDE having been phased out by most manufacturers. The GPUs of the time like the GTX 460 and 480, are still usable at the least, and the 980X can even handle a 970 today. It's good for at least another 1-2 years.

If ou don't want to build it youreslf, there are a number of custom PC builders who will do it for you. Yes, some of them are not that good and use substandard parts but there are a few that, while they may charge slightly more, are turstable and don't cut corners in criticakl places. You will pay more than if you were to build it yourself, however. I can tell you though that it isn't that hard to do so; One of our own members work at a school where he advices students on what parts to select and how to assemble PC; they themselves out the PC together. It's really quite simple, much like Lego. Eveything is labeled and slots in at designated places, with little guesswork involved. I recommend that you take a look at a few videos and tutorials online, to see how easy it really is.

Chayan4400,

Very good comments.

The salient feature of this thread is that on face value, our friend Psychichfashion has mentioned specifically only very moderate performance and capability demands. The idea of having "possibly hundreds" of web pages open and "I would like to maintain maximum flexibility to do whatever I might want to, and, " I would be really sad if either were outdated in 5 years."

"Whatever I might want to do" though is extremely open-ended and that's why a used workstation seems the best choice. My advocacy of a used LGA2011 workstation is becuase workstations are designed for long, continuous use reliably, have good expansion potential, and are quiet-running. And LGA2011 has a large memory bandwidth, a lot of PCIe lanes, and can use many-cored Xeons if necessary. Also, there are some fantastic, highly capable Xeon E5's- espeically v2's that are now highly depreciated and the system that starts with a moderate 4-core might have a fast 8 or 10 for a reasonable cost. The general workstation specification thereby fulfills "I would like to maintain maximum flexibility to do whatever I might want to." And, because the budget is limited, having the "whatever I might want to do" potential means the system needs to be used.

Also, the correct choice in a used workstation means that Psychichfashion does not have to make extensive changes or modifications. Perhaps change the GPU or add drives is inevitable, but my sense is that an extensive technical project is not the idea, as the OP mentions frustration with resolving technical issues and technical inexperience. I believe Psychichfashion is not a potential specifier, let alone a builder, and probably a reluctant upgrader. Having a new, custom system built is going to pressure the budget and anyway, there are proprietary systems that will fill the use and performance requirements within the budget. I think many- most users would rather buy a computer and never have to think about it technically for five years. Those people buy Macs and live in happy ignorance of Windows suffering.

You're certainly correct in the idea that no PC can really be expected to not be outdated in 5 years. There was a great cartoon a few years ago in "The New Yorker" of a table having a haphazard pile of PC's and a big sign on it reading "Day Old". My attitude is though, that this is a question of degree as far as the use is concerned and given the uses mentioned in this thread, even a moderate system could be useful for a very long time. It's surprising: I used a Dell Dimension 8400 with a single-core Pentium 4 from 2004 to 2010 - 6 years- and produced hundreds of CAD drawings in AutoCad 2004 and 2007, quite a few 3D models in Sketchup, a lot of graphic design, edited 1000's of images and probably 1,000's pages written. Except for rendering, and large 3D projects, I could use it today as so many programs are still single-threaded.

Good discussion.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Psychichfashion

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016

Chayan4400,
I did some investigating. It turns out I can’t find anything like the computer building classes you recommended in my area, they sounded like a good idea and I would be interested, in my amateur way.
However, I did find computer builders and came up with some specific quotes, and also some opportunities to have a unit built to spec for a fee. I am listing them here. Some are more detailed than others. Are there any you prefer? Any modifications? Likes and dislikes? I can also look at another build that you might recommend (maybe even posted elsewhere on the site), if you could tell me why it is superior it would help. If you have any advice about builders, that would help too.
To reiterate about what I was looking for, I want to stream video, have a few open MS office and other documents, have LOTS of webpages open at once (hundreds); have up to 4 monitors (possibly 1 or 2 large), and never have to wait for my machine. I want to do whatever I want and not think about resources at all. I would like the flexibility to do light gaming or video editing, or other things. I like expandability and longevity to the extent it is possible, (which you have pointed out, is obviously quixotic beyond a certain point, yet remains a consideration to the extent it can be).
I wasn’t sure about the impact of DDR3 memory on longevity, because it is a lot cheaper but of an older generation of components (and requires compatible, older, motherboards). In other words, I don’t know if the premium required for DDR4 is worth it. Also wattage, and other components.
A company called Synntech Gaming in New Jersey will build a computer for me at $1350 (shipping included). A couple hundred more could raise the RAM or the video card. Actually. I might want to raise the SSD on this. They would ship it to me. They’re at http://synntechgaming.com/
Marcus Torres comment about it: “I've put together a X99 build for you but it was hard to stay in the $1200 range due to the 32GB DDR4 being very expensive along with the powerful CPU. This pc is ready for workstation tasks, and has the flexibility to do light gaming if you ever choose to go down that road.
The motherboard also allows up to 128Gb of Ram if you ever need more down the line. As for connecting 4 displays the video card has the capability to connect up to 4 monitors but with 2 DVI inputs, 1 HDMI, and 1 display port. There are other optional video cards to use but again, they come at a price.”
X99 WORKSTATION
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (supports up to 64 gb ram)
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage 1 SPNY SSD 240Gb
Storage 2 Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
Video Card GeForce GTX 950 2GB
Case Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Windows 10
i7-6700k (I'd generally recommend the i5-6600k as the i7 will eat up about 30% of your budget by itself, or switching to the Haswell line rather than Skylake, but the choice is yours and your budget can accommodate it)
16gb DDR4 (2x8gb) most likely G.Skill, but possibly Corsair or Crucial
Motherboard in the $150-$200 range, I tend towards Gigabyte, Asus, and Asrock, but it would depend on exactly where your budget was, prices at the time of ordering, the reviews and if you needed any particular features
SSD 512gb Sandisk or Samsung Pro/enthusiast models
HD 1 or 2TB most likely Western Digital
PSU 500w Seasonic, or a Seasonic produced line
GPU depends on your budget as well as your needs for gaming 'right now' but I'd lean towards a 750
DVD drive if needed
Case will depend on your needs (smallest possible? standard mid sized?) and budget/pricing at the time of ordering
Win 10 or 7 license, depending on what you prefer, or Linux if you want to go that route
I found a company in Iowa called Venom Computer that builds computers. http://www.venomcomputer.com/ Mike there did this quote for me with a budget of $1500. He swears that the AMD FX processor performs better than the Xeon and I7 extreme in his shop, and he has been using it instead.
AMD BUILD
FX9590 -5GHZ 8-CORE CPU (max memory 64 gb)
ASROCK EXTREME Motherboard
240 LIQUID COOLER
32GB DDR3 RAM
240GB SSD (Patriots, Corsair, Crucial)
2TB 7200 HD (Seagate, Western Digital)
GTX 960 2GB GPU
750W BRONZE CERT. PSU
DVD-R
CUSTOM CASE
CUSTOM LIGHTING
WINDOWS 7 PRO
COST: $1520

INTEL BUILD
4GHZ QUAD CORE (6700K) (max memory 64 gb)
ASROCK GAMING MOTHERBOARD
240 LIQUID COOLER
32GB DDR3 RAM
240GB SSD (Patriots, Corsair, Crucial)
2TB 7200 HD (Seagate, Western Digital)
GTX 960 2GB GPU
750W BRONZE CERT. PSU
DVD-R
CUSTOM CASE
CUSTOM LIGHTING
WINDOWS 7 PRO
COST: $1725
I also talked with a local company with a storefront called Dynamic Computers. http://dynamic-computers.net/ They will build a computer from parts I give them for a $160 fee, or purchase all new parts all themselves and build. They were reluctant to do a full quote without my physically going there, which is a schlep for me, but they did give some ballpark information.
They described a build consisting of an I7 skylake with 32 gb ram ddr3, a 256 ssd (Samsung or Crucial), 1 tb hard drive, 550-650 watt power source, a 950 series graphics card, and motherboard tbd that would run about $1400-1500. They also proposed buying a new Dell XPS base wholesale and customizing it to about that level for about $1500. I believe he said the fully custom model would have a better motherboard, or something like that. This place makes 200 custom built computers yearly, and they seem to have a very good reputation locally from looking at Yelp.
I also found out my local Microcenter will do a custom build, but with the requirement that all the parts have to be bought from Microcenter. I would pay the price of the parts, plus a labor cost of $130. The parts have their own warranty – plus I can buy a service plan for a modest price- $ per year for a few years- through which they fix and replace anything needed and I can bring the machine in for troubleshooting. I could conceivably ask them to build any desired configuration.

So there are a lot of options, and I would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Psychichfashion

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016

Bambiboom,
I like with your recommendation of the workstation with a better graphics card and ram. I was looking around for a marriage between higher specs without the OEM premium; and a special build, whether from modifications or a custom build remains to be seen.
Looking around for options, I tried to drill down into them, and other issues came up too. I’ve tried to take a survey of the environment, and directions to go in.
In addition to workstations, I also found places to get custom units and I got a few bids with specs, and a few modification options- I posted them to Chayan4400’s last comment on this thread, if you could also look at that, I would be interested in your opinion on how they stack up and whether you like any of them better than the workstation options we are looking at here. The custom builds all use new parts (unless I were to buy used parts and commission a build of them).
I discuss later in this post that the older rebuilt workstation has pros and cons. Pros are that it is 20-30% cheaper and still has high memory expandability, better stamina, sturdy and reliable construction, and lots of PCIe lanes. Cons are that it doesn’t have a warranty or tech support, requires customization, and uses last generation tech as processor, motherboard, and memory type.
The new model rebuilt workstation has (pros) latest tech and high end processor and motherboard (and includes high memory expandability, better stamina, sturdy and reliable construction, and lots of PCIe lanes along with the older models); but (cons) still requires customization and installation, and comes out the same price or more than a custom built. Might or might not have a warranty.
The custom built computer is (pros) done to spec, brand new, warranted (but by a small operator), but (cons) it is more expensive, highly variable (with the pasts and other variables being unfamiliar to me), and doesn’t have professional tech support.
Finally, I threw in a maxed XPS I found a good bargain on for comparison. Very easy and loaded with a 1 year warranty, but lacks memory expandability beyond 32 gb, yet is the same price range as the other recent tech options.
The previous Lenovo S30/ E5-2670/64 gb ddr3 ram/Nvidia GTX 660/512 ssd option was $1000. The seller said that the E5-2670 would function better than the Passmark benchmarks would suggest, because the 8 hyperthreaded cores would allow me to do more processes at once, faster, and the tests do not reveal this function. (Which I did say less explicitly in a previous post.) Also the benchmarks do not test online performance, which is major for me. I really wish that the E5-2670 were benchmarked with the S30! He also said that they have some E5-1650 processors there, but for the price I would do better to get a get a pair of E5-2660-2670s. So that begs the question, if I could get a comparable price on a Lenovo ThinkStation D30 with the same specs as the S30, would that be worth considering? When I Googled, it seemed ambiguous whether Windows 10 even recognizes dual processors.
I should point out that the same company that is selling the Lenovo S30 and D30 also has a few Dell T3600s and the HPZ420s, modifiable to spec, but they only really offer Xeon E5-2660, 2670, and 2680 as processors, and the price would be comparable to the S30.
I have to say after looking at the workstations under consideration for awhile, it seems there is some kind of run on workstations right now! The selection was a lot better a month ago, even a couple of weeks ago, but I suppose that I could always wait for the next bunch. The used workstation ends up about $1000-$1200 after modifications (that I would likely to pay someone to make). The souped-up used workstations aren’t that much cheaper when all is said and done, it seems. Seems about 20-30% depending on the offer.
So first question: how do they stack up on longevity? The Lenovo S30, D30 the HPZ420, and the Dell Precision T3600 are both using ddr3 and are limited to E5 vi or v2 and the corresponding motherboard, if I am not mistaken. This raises a concern for upgradability with regard to obsolescence. The tech is already a few years old and out or being phased out. It might make sense to move up a level, to current model or custom-built, in honor of longevity, and pay a little more or lower the specs a little with the intent of upgrading later. What do you think about that?
The other issue is that used last-model machines have no warranty (beyond 30-90 days), or tech support. Custom builds usually have a (small time operator) warranty and might have a little tech support if I am lucky. (While feeling an idiot for needing it, I am reminded of your previous comment about Mac people who “live in happy ignorance of Windows suffering.”)
If the recent-model workstation idea is desirable, how does it stack up against the custom built idea? Both seem to run in the same price range. The workstations have more expandability for memory, more PCIe lanes, use the Xeon, and are more sturdy, but other than that, the custom builds seem comparable. The recent-model workstations having a large company standing behind them has its appeal, to manage future bugs, issues, windows problems, etc. But a custom build requires no mods and is done to spec and is as good as the parts chosen.
In thinking about a recent-model workstation, I was wondering if I could get a current Lenovo P series for close to $1000 and upgrade it, and I saw a single processor P500 on ebay for $1200. It sold a few hours later, but I would think that if one was available, one like it should be again eventually. This had specs closer to what we were looking for than others on the market. I could wait for something like this, and upgrade it. I have seen similar on the Lenovo outlet website, only occasionally, but which has a great warranty and costs a few more bucks.
Lenovo Thinkstation P500 Six Core Xeon E5-1650v3 / 8GB / 256GB SSD / 650W PS (SOLD)
Minitower case with 650W power supply
Six-Core Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 3.5GHz CPU
(15MB L3 cache, 2133MHz memory, HT, Turbo Boost 2.0)
8GB ECC DDR4-2133 SDRAM
256GB Opal SSD
9-in-1 media card reader, DVD±RW
No video card (required)
Integrated High Definition audio
Integrated Intel 10/100/1000 ethernet adapter
Integrated Serial ATA III RAID controller
Intel C612 chipset
Warrantied by Lenovo until 8/22/18

This P500 is a little more expensive and lower specs than desirable, but contains the next generation of components, so it takes DDR4 and Xeon E5 v3’s, and has the power and versatility of a workstation. It might be worth a few extra bucks to be in the next generation, in honor of longevity. The used P500’s tend to be a bit skimpy on ram and hard drive, might not have an OS, and sometimes lack a GPU or have the wrong one; but also sometimes still have original warranties.
If I got a slightly used Lenovo P500, I would have to purchase more ddr4 ram, and an ssd, video card, and OS if needed, and add them or pay to have them added. They’re still pretty pricey, in fact the end total might end up being higher than a custom built computer. It seems no matter what I do- soup up a workstation or contract a custom build- I am still ending up in the same price range for current tech, of $1400-1700. That seems a reflection of the sharp accuracy of the computer market (and perhaps it’s futile to try to get around it).
Neither here nor there, I came across a tantalizingly easy offer of a fully loaded XPS on Woot.com for $1500 that comes with a one year warranty. It’s only available for a few more days. This partially bypasses the “Murcielago” effect you described. Unfortunately, this unit maxes at 32 gb ram, and I had decided that expandability to 64 gb was important for “longevity.”
Dell XPS 8900 Performance Desktop, Intel Core i7-6700K Quad-Core 3.4GHz, NVIDIA GTX 960 2GB, 32GB DDR4, 2TB HDD + 256GB SSD, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, Win10Pro
http://sellout.woot.com/offers/dell-xps-8900-gtx-960-2tb256gb-desktop?ref=so_cnt_wp_1_9
On Amazon, the same unit is $1800. (Where there is a subgroup of very pissed-off buyers of this model who left bad reviews. Apparently there are some serious lemons in this bunch.)

Between these and the custom build opportunities posted to Chayan4400, these seem my options and directions now.
I am trying to fully engage with the issues. Is there anything I am missing? What do you think?
I didn’t ask you before about the “dream” option. Barring total extravagance, if I were going to spend 1200-1700 anyway, what would the dream option be?
Bambiboom, I appreciate your incisive analysis and insights, and your wit. Thank you.
Psychichfashion

TRENDING THREADS