Question Used motherboard no longer boots ?

hafsblau

Prominent
Jun 5, 2022
I bought a used ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, connected a psu, a stick of memory, a 2500k cpu, a cpu fan. I booted up by putting a screwdriver on the jumper pins (I don't think this board has a startup button). The fans started spinning for a couple seconds, then it shut off itself. I then tried to boot up again, and nothing happened.

Now, the motherboard doesn't react on boot attempts at all, no sptring fans or beeps (though I don't think this board has any LEDs and idk about motherboard speaker).

Things I know/tried:
  • The PSU works
  • Swapped RAM and RAM slots (to a known working stick)
  • Can't see any obvious burn marks, water damage, discoloration, blown capacitors or bent pin. Looks normal on the underside too.
  • Didn't have any USB peripherals or anything connected.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem and if there is any hope in fixing it? Thanks!

hafsblau

Prominent
Jun 5, 2022
I just realised something; the first time I attempted to boot the motherboard I had it lying down on top of an anti-static bag (more specifically, a static-shielding bag). And I believe the outside of static shielding bags are conductive (albeit supposedly with high resistance).

Could this have fried the motherboard upon the first boot and could this be the reason it won't boot? And if so, is there any hope of fixing it?