Question Used my Mate 20 Pro in Swimming Pool

Apr 19, 2019
I used it today for about a few minutes underwater without the "Waterproof Casing". The phone was great the image quality was great.
A few hours later I noticed that my front camera was "fogged" or "moist", don't know the exact term for it but there was water inside. During this time the phone was still working perfectly fine the only problem was the fogged front camera.

Fast forward a few more hours later, I noticed that it was not recognizing some of my taps anymore. But phone was still working with no hiccups. Then a few minutes after that the screen suddenly turned black and only a small portion on top of the screen was flickering for a few seconds and then disappearing. I tried to turn off the phone by holding the power button for more than 10 secs but it just kept restarting.

My first move was to submerge it in uncooked rice, it's now been half an hour since then.
The question I have in mind is.
Will there be even a slight chance that if I leave it there, the water will dissipate and the phone come back to life?

Thank you in advance guys!

Ralston18

Titan
The "rice treatment" might be effective with respect to absorbing any remaining water from within the phone.

Overall, my impression is that the required time is much, much longer.

How long likely depends on a number of factors: how much water got in. How fast the water/moisture can escape.

The other issue is any internal damage that may have been caused by the water: e.g., corrosion, short circuits, fogged viewing if the water cannot escape or be made to escape.

Rice treatment may help. If not, then someone knowledgeable will need to disassemble the phone to get any remaining water out.

Should work again caveat being no other water damage within the phone.

Reactions: Ohaiyo-kun
D

Deleted member 14196

Water damage is usually never covered and if the phone says they can use it underwater don’t believe it

DSzymborski

Titan
Maybe I'll just take it to Huawei's Service Center.
But do you think the water damage can be covered by warranty?

No, a warranty covers things that are the manufacturer's fault. It means that they're guaranteeing what they give you for a certain period of time. Lots of places offer accidental damage coverage, which you typically pay extra for, which covers the things that you do. Unless Huawei said this usage for the phone was acceptable, it's your fault, not their fault.