Used old Boot drive in New build and old system works..HOW?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I just finished my new build and had not wiped my boot drive as I didn think it would start until I reinstalled windows. . but when I hit power for the first test boot, I got a few flashes of the new motherboards logo than a windows loading circle then voila my old system is running fine.

I will definitely do a fresh install, but I was under the impression changing that much hardware would cause windows not to boot. Was I wrong? This cant be very stable I imagine.

Thoughts?

It is possible for it to work, as you can see.
In almost every case it dosent, and in the rare cases it does there are typically driver issues, poor performance, and other "hidden" issues.

For these reasons its generally stated to be "impossible"

Colif

Win 11 Master
There is always the chance that windows will boot and recognise the hardware and work, but it may not be stable. This isn't the 1st time its happened. Good chance windows would deactivate itself after a few days once it notices the hardware on PC doesn't match old one.

Is windows license linked to your email address? Its not related to this behaviour, just curious if it is so you can move it to this new PC. This could help if it isn't - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

I never link my windows to an account but I own the usb and have the password. I figured I would get as far as BIOS and go to sleep happy all the hardware worked and then do the reinstall marathon tmrw. Firstly of course boot from the windows usb.
Because it started though can I just do a system wipe from within windows now? or should I do it from the usb again?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

Ill direct this at you too USAFRet:

I never link my windows to an account but I own the usb and have the password. I figured I would get as far as BIOS and go to sleep happy all the hardware worked and then do the reinstall marathon tmrw. Firstly of course boot from the windows usb.
Because it started though can I just do a system wipe from within windows now? or should I do it from the usb again?

USAFRet

Titan

"and have the password"
You're referring to the license key?

If so, where did this come from?
What OS is this?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

Yeah, I mean the key. Its a Windows 10 usb store bought. Should I do a "reset" a "fresh start" or a clean install from the usb again?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if key not used before, you fine to use it.

If it was used on previous install, and you never linked it to email, then its linked to hardware still. You know the key so may need to contact Microsoft to get it moved to new PC