Question Used Optiplex 7010 won't boot into BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I bought a used Dell Optiplex 7010, with the case/motherboard/processor/fans/RAM, no HDD. It powers on, there is power to the monitor, power to the keyboard, the fans are turning, I tried booting it up with both a blank SSD and a blank HDD, both were initialized and formatted, tried to load Windows from disc and from USB, tried Windows 10 and Windows 7 versions, I tried two different types of RAM, did 4 RAM seatings, 2 RAM seatings for each dual channel, tried F2/F7/F12/delete to get into the BIOS, took out the CMOS battery and put it back in, but I don't have a battery tester. Is there something I can try to see what the problem is? Any ideas about what it might be?

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Dell Optiplex 7010 MT
Intel Core i5-3550 3.30 GHz

I tried Hyper X (4x4) RAM which I just pulled from my regular desktop, and the unit itself came with Corsair XMS3 (it says 2x4GB on each stick)

Keyboard is a Dell SK-8135, generic Dell mouse, LG monitor 27EA63 monitor

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Correct. I also ought to mention I connected the monitor to both of the desktop's two display ports (with an Display Port to HDMI adapter) and the VGA port. VGA didn't indicate anything (maybe not working?) but with the first two it the monitor was searching for some kind of signal.

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Does the keyboard or mouse turned on when you trying to boot ? If no, I assume it's motherboard fault. Have you diassembly the processor ?

keyboard is lit up - I haven't disassembled the processor, I suppose if I have to go that far, I'll return it, it's still under the 30 day return window

I ordered a new CMOS battery in case that's the fault, should be here tomorrow

there's a green PSU light at the back telling it's getting power
the DVD drive light is working
the power button light is working
and it must recognize the hard drives because I see the hard drive light working too
All that means is that power is present. It does not mean that the logic circuits are running. What did the documentation that I provided tell you?

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
All that means is that power is present. It does not mean that the logic circuits are running. What did the documentation that I provided tell you?

Power button LED is solid white, no blinking whatsoever

"On any OptiPlex built since 2012 (i.e., 7010/9010/9010 AIO), Dell has stopped using all beep codes except for the Memory Failure code"

there have been no beep codes, so I'm guessing I should rule out any issue with the RAM?

Are you doing this with the monitor attached directly to the VGA port with no adapters of any kind between it and the monitor? Dells typically don't play well with adapters. You may also want to check the monitor and make sure that VGA is manually set there, don't let the auto detect run things. You're really short of options here. My Dell intuition says send it back as you have a bad motherboard.

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Are you doing this with the monitor attached directly to the VGA port with no adapters of any kind between it and the monitor? Dells typically don't play well with adapters. You may also want to check the monitor and make sure that VGA is manually set there, don't let the auto detect run things. You're really short of options here. My Dell intuition says send it back as you have a bad motherboard.

I canceled my online CMOS order yesterday after I stopped by the grocery store for something else, and saw one there, and just bought it off the shelf. I came home, tried it, nothing different. So then I did the one thing I hadn't yet tried: switch out the monitor. And sure enough, that was the culprit. No, the monitor was not bad, it's just that the LG wouldn't pick up on the boot screen, or the BIOS screen, I suppose because "auto detect" was looking for something else? When I swapped it with the Dell U2412M that I use for my regular desktop, everything popped right up. When I swapped the LG back after installing Windows 10, the LG will show boot screen and BIOS screen (F2). What the LG won't do is connect using the DP to HDMI adapter. Since this Optiplex unit has no HDMI (which I find to be extraordinary as the 7010 is circa 2012 which, although Display Port existed, was before the time it was common to find, right?) I have to use the VGA port. I'm not sure it qualitatively makes a difference, the point of getting this second desktop unit was to set it up for my girlfriend, who now has to work from home because of the coronavirus restrictions, and someone lent her an Apple AIO, but she prefers Windows, and I thought the combination of this used unit I got from some local recyclers with my spare monitor and spare SSD would make this an inexpensive but speedy office PC for her.

I canceled my online CMOS order yesterday after I stopped by the grocery store for something else, and saw one there, and just bought it off the shelf. I came home, tried it, nothing different. So then I did the one thing I hadn't yet tried: switch out the monitor. And sure enough, that was the culprit. No, the monitor was not bad, it's just that the LG wouldn't pick up on the boot screen, or the BIOS screen, I suppose because "auto detect" was looking for something else? When I swapped it with the Dell U2412M that I use for my regular desktop, everything popped right up. When I swapped the LG back after installing Windows 10, the LG will show boot screen and BIOS screen (F2). What the LG won't do is connect using the DP to HDMI adapter. Since this Optiplex unit has no HDMI (which I find to be extraordinary as the 7010 is circa 2012 which, although Display Port existed, was before the time it was common to find, right?) I have to use the VGA port. I'm not sure it qualitatively makes a difference, the point of getting this second desktop unit was to set it up for my girlfriend, who now has to work from home because of the coronavirus restrictions, and someone lent her an Apple AIO, but she prefers Windows, and I thought the combination of this used unit I got from some local recyclers with my spare monitor and spare SSD would make this an inexpensive but speedy office PC for her.
So that was your monitor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.