Question Used PC condition

ROUSALIN

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
How are you guys, been a while since I published anything here, but now I got myself a sweet gaming pc, not necessary for the specs but the price.
Paid 280€ for a Ryzen 1600x, MSI B350 tomahawk, Gigabyte RX 580 8GB, ripjaws ddr4 8gb 3000mhz, 120gb SSD, 1tb HDD, 650w termaltake 80plus psu, Corsair Hydro H80i v2 , all in a good physical condition. Gaming mechanical keyboard plus mouse in perfect shape included. So I said f--k the laptop and the console, I'm selling them and take this PC before another one does it.
Anyhow I'm pretty high right now so I go ways, question is: Is there a way to tell if the rig was used for mining or other intense tasks? GPU stressed in Furmark gets to 60 degrees max Full HD 8XM, idles at 24C, no artifacts, same CPU and other parts, works good. The guy who sold it to me was pretty shady, telling me he sold it because he doesn't have time yet says that he also did minning in the past, but now with this one, he didn't had time nor has anymore.
What about the price, is it a good one in your country? Here in Spain it is.
Cheers and thanks.

ROUSALIN

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I don't game much, 20h/mo. lol
Worst case scenario, GPU dies 'cause of past minning, right? Throw in another and still enjoy the PC?
I'm not being picky, thing is I sold the laptop and console also at a low price asap to buy the low priced PC, I think I got a steal but who knows...

You might look at the SMART data for your HDDs. That will at least tell you how long those particular hard drives have been powered on, how many times they've been turned on. That MIGHT indicate the usage of the rest of the PC, but not necessarily how hard its been used

[edit while reading - clarkjd was faster to answer]

Go with clarkjd's suggestion. What is the age of the disk drive (number of years)?
Look at the "Power-On Hours" parameter. There is about 8760 hours a year, so that will tell you if the computer have being ON near the whole time.

If it also have a very low "Start/Stop count" I'll say it higher the possibility for being used to mining. But there is no definite proof.

As you have already bought the computer, so not directly relevant - but posting anyway:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3eALTW6fqo

Reactions: ROUSALIN

ROUSALIN

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
SSD total use 26 days, excellent state, 1000 days remaining lifespan.
HDD total use 23 days, excellent state, 1000 days remaining lifespan, start/stop count 675.
What do you make of it?

ROUSALIN

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I've just installed Rage 2 and it was working flawlessly at 60FPS all ultra then I updated drivers and software and there's a LED on the GPU saying Fan Stop and I get 20FPS, is the GPU throttling down, how do I use AMD Wattman ? Thanks :)