Question Used PC parts from Japan? General build assistance

Jttw2

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2014
Hi!
I'm visiting Japan next month and wanted to check in on the used vs new marketplace

Intended Use:
90% used for smooth productivity, lots of windows/tabs, very light gaming (league of legends @ 120fps), movies

Will be using a:
4k 48" @120hz "gigabyte aorus fo48u oled" (ty black friday :D)

Considering:
AMD4 platform due to price/value, I don't upgrade more often than every 6-8 years, so I full rebuild each time

CPU - currently favoring the AMD4 platform, looking at Ryzen5 5500 (not sure if I am cheaping out too much)

GPU - currently looking at the 6700XT (not sure if I am undershooting, have never gamed on 4k, but this is light gaming after all)

Not afraid of buying used (intelligently), or overclocking. Budget is around $1000 MAX - but the lower the better, favoring $600

If anybody could help guide me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
So what are you actually asking here because to me at least, your title and your post have nothing to do with each other?

Are you asking if you should buy a used PC while you are in Japan, or are you asking if you should buy a used PC to take to Japan, or are you just asking if you should buy a used PC at all?

Where are you now and what does Japan have to do with it in any case?

What kind of "productivity" are you talking about? "Productivity" doesn't tell us much. We need to know SPECIFIC applications. Where are you assuming you'll be able to source a used system with this kind of hardware from?

Jttw2

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2014
Ah, my apologies for the confusion

I'm asking about:

1. Which parts would best match my intended use ~
  2. If anybody knows about used PC part prices in Japan (input on used pc parts in the US/in general welcome)
Productivity being heavy web browsing, lots of multitasking, but across light applications such as messaging, video streaming, google maps, flight engines

Thinking about sourcing from used shops in Japan if viable, or from US online stores

So, we've only EVER had one prolific member here that had much knowledge or experience with PC hardware, shops, prices, etc., from Japan that I am aware of. I'm sure there are others, but none of them are prolific, meaning they are likely people who've come through looking for help but didn't hang around to offer any insights. The member we HAD was also eventually made into a moderator but hasn't posted here in many years now.

I'm doubtful that you'll find anybody on here who has much knowledge of the prices or availability of used hardware in Japan. Google is probably your best friend in this case although what you find might well be pretty limited as it seems to me like a country that is a lot more inclined towards consoles and phones over other devices. But then again, I don't admittedly know much about that region. Far more do I know about other countries like those in Europe including upper European regions, Middle East, Australia, South America and Canada in addition to the US.

I'm willing to bet however that PC hardware is a lot more expensive IN Japan than it is in the US, however, I'm not sure what kind of hoops you'd have to jump through or what customs restrictions might be involved in trying to lug all the pieces of a desktop system into the country from outside of it. That might be something you need to check on before making any plans to drag a desktop with you over there.

Get on YouTube and look up a channel called TechYesCity, The guy on there I think is from Australia but says he visits Japan and will show videos of it, it’s really quite interesting.

As far as gaming at 4k for 6-8 years, imo you should be looking at the 5800x3d and a decent board with a minimum 16gb ram, but 32gb would be a safer bet. I say the 5800x3d since it’s supposed to be the top gaming cpu on am4 and since you want it to last 6-8 years you want the top dog so it will last longest. Either that cpu, or the 5900x, or the 5950x.

As for gpu, I have a 6700xt, and it’s a decent 1440p gpu. But for 4K I’d suggest at a minimum the 6800xt, but I wouldn’t count on 6-8 years. I’d say the 6900xt or 6950xt would be better, or wait for the 7900xt out 7900xtx.

Edit, seeing you are trying to stay near 600-1000, I’d say maybe look at a 6800xt and a 5700x, leaving in US dollars probably about 300 left for the system like board ram etc.