[SOLVED] Used Red Devil Vega 56 + PSU or RTX 2060 for 1080p144hz?

Jun 13, 2019
Hi all, been making a decision between:

Used Red Devil Vega 56 - I'd be getting a better PSU as well to support this
New RTX 2060. Plug and play with my current. - 30% more expensive than the used Vega 56 I'm looking at.

Processor - R5 2600X
16GB 3200Mhz RAM
Seasonic 520W

Either those or wait out RTX Super/RX 5700. Although those don't seem like value propositions at this point. Just wondering on the performance between the Vega 56 (underclocked, even just modestly) vs a 2060. Even used 1080's are about the same price as a new 2060 where I live; can't find good models of Vega 64 either so they're out of contention.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019
Here's all you need to know and make a good decision: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-nitro-rx-vega-56,6152.html

If you ask me, changing the PSU just because you want the Vega is a bad proposition. I'd take the 2060, even if it's a tad slower than it.

On the other hand, if you can wait, then wait.

Cheers!
Great updated review! Only issue is it's only part of the story, the numbers change with undervolting.

The PSU isn't so bad. While it currently functions fine, I'm afraid time hasn't been to kind to it with the lack of some features such as a 12v rail and some safety features. I think of it as a 'hitting 2 birds with one stone' deal. Any particular reason why you'd take the 2060 instead of the Vega outright?

My slight rush for a decision on the Red Devil Vega 56 might be due to the bad reception on the unveiling of the RX 5700 series and the fact that this is the only non-blower, non-Gigabyte Vega 56 I've found for sale; and with an existing warranty till 2021 to boot.

I want this upgrade to last for 4-5 years, about the same as my GTX 970 right now.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If the cost of the Vega56 plus good quality PSU is less than the 2060, I'd say it's worth considering, particularly if you're comfortable with undervolting to try to find the 56's power/performance sweet spot.

BUT - I don't know if it's worth rushing. Not sure why one would say that there was a bad reception on the unveiling of the 5700... a lot of self-entitled "Why isn't AMD outdoing Nvidia in top-card performance" grumbling is about all, in my opinion.

Jun 13, 2019
If the cost of the Vega56 plus good quality PSU is less than the 2060, I'd say it's worth considering, particularly if you're comfortable with undervolting to try to find the 56's power/performance sweet spot.
Was looking at a Corsair CX650M, and the price is just about the price of a 2060. $270 for the Red Devil and $77 for the Corsair CX650M or a bit more for the EVGA 750 B3.

BUT - I don't know if it's worth rushing. Not sure why one would say that there was a bad reception on the unveiling of the 5700... a lot of self-entitled "Why isn't AMD outdoing Nvidia in top-card performance" grumbling is about all, in my opinion.
Can't really say there's no reason for it, the 5700 for a bit more than the 2060 for a marginal performance improvement (accdng to AMD's presentation anyway) and the announced RTX Super cards probably gonna cut the price of the 2060 and 2070 further; it's hard to see the 5700 being a good value option. I think people expected Navi to be the Ryzen of the graphics market.

Was looking at a Corsair CX650M

Regardless of your decision for GPU upgrade, please don't skimp on the PSU, just to save some extra cash. The CMX isn't the very best of PSUs, even though it might work. Try to grab some other high quality PSU, if possible.

PSU is the MOST important component, and I wouldn't skimp on this. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.

Jun 13, 2019
Regardless of your decision for GPU upgrade, please don't skimp on the PSU, just to save some extra cash. The CMX isn't the very best of PSUs, even though it might work. Try to grab some other high quality PSU, if possible.

PSU is the MOST important component, and I wouldn't skimp on this. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.
Was actually basing that decision from this site. Do you have other recommendations or a 'tier list' of sorts I can have a look at other than the one I linked? Back when I got my current PSU it was still well regarded. Now it's fallen far down the list lol

Okay, that's fine, but don't fully rely on any TIER list. Not saying that list is wrong, or cannot be trusted, but check PSU reviews instead. These might give a more clear picture.

In my opinion, these are high quality units. Look for similar SKUs, assuming you can afford one.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA - G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750.

Jun 13, 2019
Okay, that's fine, but don't fully rely on any TIER list. Not saying that list is wrong, or cannot be trusted, but check PSU reviews instead. These might give a more clear picture.

Sounds good, EVGA 750GQ would be the most likely option. Thanks!

EDIT: Scratch that. Will have to do more research on this to make a well informed decision.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Was looking at a Corsair CX650M, and the price is just about the price of a 2060. $270 for the Red Devil and $77 for the Corsair CX650M or a bit more for the EVGA 750 B3.

I am not sure about those PSUs. Also, I just realized I missed that you said you were talking about a USED Vega 56. I'd be . . hesitant. I'd definitely hold out until the Navi cards come out and see how that affects the market.

Can't really say there's no reason for it, the 5700 for a bit more than the 2060 for a marginal performance improvement (accdng to AMD's presentation anyway) and the announced RTX Super cards probably gonna cut the price of the 2060 and 2070 further; it's hard to see the 5700 being a good value option. I think people expected Navi to be the Ryzen of the graphics market.

Umm, what source do you have for this? The 5700 XT is shown to have a small improvement over the 2070, and cost a little less (MSRP). I haven't seen any comparisons at all involving the 2060 and the 5700 non-XT. Why do you assume it performs around the same as or only a little more than the 2060? Can you please refer me to the appropriate portion of the AMD presentation that shows/says this?

Jun 13, 2019
Umm, what source do you have for this? The 5700 XT is shown to have a small improvement over the 2070, and cost a little less (MSRP). I haven't seen any comparisons at all involving the 2060 and the 5700 non-XT. Why do you assume it performs around the same as or only a little more than the 2060? Can you please refer me to the appropriate portion of the AMD presentation that shows/says this?
Yes the 5700XT shows higher performance than the 2070 at a lower MSRP. All based on AMD's presentation at E3, the 5700 is 4-21% faster than the 2060 at a slightly higher MSRP as well.

rx5700-vs-rtx-2600-1200x660.jpg

Vega 56 (tweaked and all) performs about at the level of the 2060 as well from what I've read and gathered, and at 30% less the cost of a new RTX 2060 I believe it's worth considering as a value option as I get to upgrade my PSU as well should I go in that direction. I could also sell it again if the 5700 is good performance/$.

Reactions: King_V