Question Used SSD into "new" PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2019
I just got a better PC than mine that doesn't come with any storage or GPU. I'm thinking of moving my GPU there along with the SSD from my current computer. Is it possible? Do I need to install windows again? How would I do that in an SDD that already has Windows on it? Thanks

Jul 2, 2019
As long as the operating system is good on the ssd, you just need to hook it up to the new pc and in bios just go to boot menu and make it the bootable device.. How ever you have to make sure the new pc has strong enough psu for your gpu.
I'm pretty sure it does, the wattage is the same but it's a cheaper brand. If possible I want to avoid losing the data that my SSD has.

I just got a better PC than mine that doesn't come with any storage or GPU. I'm thinking of moving my GPU there along with the SSD from my current computer. Is it possible? Do I need to install windows again? How would I do that in an SDD that already has Windows on it? Thanks

windows will likely need to be reinstalled. there will be a 50/50 chance it will boot up at all and if it does there will be many errors that crop up, possibly blue screens. and depending on what version of windows it will not reactivate making it genuine

Moving the drive between two completely different systems? No, you cannot do that without a clean reinstall of the OS (and all installed software as well). It's also likely, unless you're running Windows 10, that you'll need to purchase a new license for the new system as well. As for your data? Where is your backup?

Reactions: Yogro
Jul 2, 2019
Ok, so I'll probably do a clean install to avoid driver issues then. I have windows on an old HDD that I don't use anymore so I'll probably use that to see if the computer works (which is my biggest concern btw)

Jul 2, 2019
Hi Yogro, before you install or use the old SSD on your new computer, it is suggested to test the device with a software of your choosing. Then you are sure that the device is fully functional and will not fail for some time. (y)
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I know the ssd works because it's my main drive on my pc. I wanted to see if the new rig works because the Mboard and the processor are better than mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS