[SOLVED] Used the wrong screwdriver and threaded my M.2 socket screw on a Asus Maximus x Hero. Need advice.

May 7, 2020
Tried to treat myself and finally upgrade to an SSD.

Went to unscrew the M.2 Slot of my Asus Hero x Maximus and the screw broke and threaded.

Have tried to unscrew it still but it just won't budge. Even tried to loosen/unscrew the screw socket at the back but I have probably done more damage than good knocking all the small nodes on the motherboard.

Do I need to buy a brand new motherboard or should I just buy a prebuild to save myself from the stress of trying build and get a PC working?

I am very sad and upset right now as I feel like nothing ever goes right for me. Need advice :(

PC Specifications:
CPU: Intel i7 8700k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Zotac 1070Ti AMP
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus
PSU: Evga 850 G2
RAM: Corsair 3200Mhz 16GB

Last edited:
Solution
It's just M.2 heatsink and heatsink screw. Not really necessary.
Didn't see any damage on motherboard.

Edit: Ups no! There are definitely pieces missing on motherboard. If you can't fix it, then you'll have to get a new motherboard.
May 7, 2020
May 7, 2020
It's just M.2 heatsink and heatsink screw. Not really necessary.
Didn't see any damage on motherboard.

Edit: Ups no! There are definitely pieces missing on motherboard. If you can't fix it, then you'll have to get a new motherboard.
Nah I think its fine. Got it working an installed windows. Gonna run some tests today.

It's definitely missing a piece here:

Vxf2nORl.jpg

May 7, 2020
Pretty sure I didn't knock anything there. Anything important? How would I know if something was wrong?

What is a resistor?
Pretty sure I didn't knock anything there. Anything important? How would I know if something was wrong?

What is a resistor?
If it's working fine, then keep using it. Unless you think it is still under warranty.
I bought it off of amazon I believe and didn't add any extra for warranty. Would it still have come with anything from Asus? Like a year maybe?

Literally just installed my first game now so gonna give it a try. Halo MCC.

Damm PC is stressful. Console is appealing if it was actually viable for gaming and not 60hz. Prebuilt, plug and play sounds like a dream.

May 7, 2020
Oh, the system was bought as a pre-built? I thought you assembled it from components yourself. Just use it and enjoy.
No I built it myself. Sorry I was saying plug and play would be nice sometimes haha. Thank you for the help.

Hopefully it doesn't effect anything too much:(

TRENDING THREADS