Question Used to have 8 GB Memory INSTALLED, now its only 7.95 GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
The installed memory on my system shows only 7.95 GB being detected. I used to have 8 GB here. I don't know when this changed but it must have been somewhere after I updated to Windows 10. I have already tried re-inserting the memory and swapping their places. I also inspected each memory stick to look for any physical damage but I didnt find anything noticeably different.

maybe i should try updating my BIOS?

Also this isn't a case of having 8 GB detected and only 7.95 being usable. Instead, only 7.95 GB is being detected. period.

I was going to say, it's unlikely that CPU-Z shows that. Likely that is windows resource monitor or another utility that uses the same information, and is wrong. Windows is terrible at reporting hardware information sometimes, well, often, and even so, as you say, that's 100% normal. Just wanted to see the CPU-Z screens to verify.

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
This is just an accounting difference between the OS versions. You don't have any problems. 0.05GB is 50KB. Not significant. Don't obsess over it.
What do you mean by "account difference?" Cause i updated from Win8 to Win10? Does that mean everyone who updated has this same issue?

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
Likely that is windows resource monitor or another utility that uses the same information, and is wrong. Windows is terrible at reporting hardware information sometimes, well, often, and even so, as you say, that's 100% normal. Just wanted to see the CPU-Z screens to verify.
So does this mean i actually have 8 Gb available Or...

compprob237

Distinguished
This is just an accounting difference between the OS versions. You don't have any problems. 0.05GB is 50KB. Not significant. Don't obsess over it.
I think you mean 50MB not KB.

50MB might be system BIOS/UEFI reserved or possibly being used by an integrated GPU. Unless you're missing an entire stick of RAM (4GB in your case) you shouldn't worry about it. Although, the shared memory setting for the integrated GPU will remove that amount from your RAM capacity since it is provisioned for use exclusively by the integrated GPU.

So does this mean i actually have 8 Gb available Or...
You have 8GB of RAM. It's just your system settings taking some out of that total capacity.

compprob237

Distinguished
HOW DO I GET IT BACK?
If you have a discrete GPU add-in card then you can disable the integrated GPU in BIOS and that will free up whatever RAM it was reserving for itself. Otherwise, it's 50MB and it's normal to have a little bit reserved by the system so you shouldn't worry about it. My system has 16GB of RAM of which 15.9GB is usable and that's completely normal.

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
Why are you so concerned about a tiny amount of memory?
Your system needs it to run, if you were able to "get it back" you would have a full 8GB, and a system that wouldnt work.
My question is why does my system only NOW start requiring those 50 MB? Before, I was able to use the full 8 GB while also having a system that did work, so what changed?

My question is why does my system only NOW start requiring those 50 MB? Before, I was able to use the full 8 GB while also having a system that did work, so what changed?
Different ways of reporting RAM usage, different system processes, etc.
If you dont like it you can reinstall your old OS.

Like its been said numerous times, its normal, and not an issue.

Reactions: compprob237

compprob237

Distinguished
That would be normal. But that isn't what is happening in my case:

View: https://imgur.com/a/FmTEqIe

Like i said in the original post. My 8 GB isnt being detected at all. Only the 7.95 GB
If there was a problem with your RAM sticks then you would be missing between 256MB and 512MB from a dead 2Gbit chip on the dual rank ram stick. Although, if that truly were the case then the system probably wouldn't even boot up.

Stop worrying about the insignificant 50MB "missing" (actually not) from your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.